Series 3 with a defender ignition switch

German Shepherd

My 1973 series 3 petrol has what appears to be a defender ignition switch fitted. The wires I have are Thick brown from the fuse box, which looks like it incorporates the light switch, inspection socket and the headlight main/dipped beam, a Thin brown from the horn, a white/red from the solenoid and a white from the fuse box, incorporating the oil/choke/ignition lights. However I am having a problem in correctly connecting the wires to the defender switch as there does not appear to be a wiring diagram on the tinterweb. 

The ignition switch has three single and one double connector, and having tried a number of combinations I still cannot get the wiring right.

Can anyone help with a wiring diagram.

Many thanks

For future info.

Having looked at several forums and wiring diagrams, it looks like I have a PRC8230 defender ignition switch fitted to my series 3.

The terminals on the rear of the switch are numbered 1/2/3/5 (number 2 being the double terminal)

I found a link on a defender forum which gave the following wiring diagram:

Terminal 1 / White and red wire from the solenoid.

Terminal 2 / Brown wire from the fuse box and brown wire from the horn.

Terminal 3 / White wire from the fuse box. 

I have wired mine up as detailed above and it seems to work fine.

Hope the info helps.

Hi Gazzar.

Photos attached, I hope, plus one of my main mechanic.

One showing the full switch, excuse the binder twine, it was just handy to hold the switch in place.

One showing the back of the switch, showing the terminals, numbered going anti clockwise.

One showing the attached wires, albeit difficult to photo due to the short wires and lack of space.

Hope it helps.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks!

Mine are banned from the workshop, they get bored and go digging in the garden instead.

Spaniels.

Does the switch and barrel fit the series column?

I banned the GS from the workshop as he just makes the chaos worse...

image.png.c92d51aedf202278f6912ba591532830.png

The Golden Retrievers & Cats however will not take no and keep pestering me while in there.

I have a picture somewhere of me with 3 Goldens on our back onder a Land Rover....

However, what I'm wondering about is why you have the Defender type in a Series ?

Me, I don't do standard wiring so shouldn't ask, really....

When I bought the car,  the switch was cable tied onto the steering column. Albeit, was solid enough and did fit through the cowling, until I stripped the wiring and column out to replace the bulkhead.

The way the cowling is fitted, the starter switch hole is on the inside of the steering column, (RHD) but the fitting on the switch is such, that if it was fitted correctly, it would have to be bolted on to the outside of the steering column as the fitting is offset. I think it would work if you left  the cowling off, or possibly if a defender cowling would fit.

i have tried to photograph the fitting on the switch. Hopefully you can see the offset nature of the fitting, so to get the angle of fitting right, the switch would have to be on the right of the column.

Hope that make sense, however come back if you need any more info. 

I am just in the middle of rebuilding my 1973 series 3, so am still coming across 'abnormalities' 😂 Like the defender switch. Almost ready to see if she will fire up after having to take the head back off to sort out lack of compression issues. 

Digging and sleeping is what dogs do best 🐶🤗, oh and chasing hares, swimming in the canal and trying to climb trees to catch squirrels.

image.jpeg

Hi Arjan.

Lovely picture of the dogs, mine also loves the car, albeit as yet never had the Land Rover running, so we will have to see how she likes it, as and when it is running. 

As for your question, the switch was in the car when I bought it about 5 years ago, however, due to lack of time I am still restoring and coming across 'challenges'.

The attached photo was taken at the Le Mans Classic last year, the bloke who owns it lives somewhere south of Le Mans and brought it up for a ride out. 

image.jpeg