Arthur AU

Modify a Range Rover P38 to use a LT230 transfer case

I am looking to modify my P38 Range Rover P30 4.6 V8 HSE 2000 to use the LT230 transfer case.

Question:- Will the Disco 2 front and rear axle assemblies fit on the P38 chassis?

Well anything can be made to fit I suppose but the P38 is 'special' in the Land Rover stable in that the diffs and props  are offset on the opposite side to all its contempories. It is something that comes up as a topic occasionally but no-one to my knowledge has yet either fitted the LT230 upside down or reconfigured the entire undercarriage to pass the props down the other side. If you do embark on it please take lots of pics for us, there will be a lot of interest.:o

There's quite a lot in the way to run the props on the other side. I still think it's easiest to drive it through the PTO. Flipping it could also work, but oiling needs to be looked at then.

On 6/17/2019 at 2:36 AM, Arthur AU said:

I am looking to modify my P38 Range Rover P30 4.6 V8 HSE 2000 to use the LT230 transfer case.

Question:- Will the Disco 2 front and rear axle assemblies fit on the P38 chassis?

Rear axle is the same as D2, you will only need front.

16 hours ago, JohnnoK said:

Rear axle is different as it uses the Wolf type short nose diff, not the standard Rover one like the D2.

18 hours ago, JohnnoK said:

Diff offset is different too.

36 minutes ago, garrycol said:

The puma defender uses the P38 rear diff.

Same casing, some small internal differences I believe :) 

4 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Diff offset is different too

Agreed, but for his wish to go to the LT230 he will require the Disco offset to the right versus P38 to the left.

Flip the axle casing and diff.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:55 PM, elbekko said:

There's quite a lot in the way to run the props on the other side. I still think it's easiest to drive it through the PTO. Flipping it could also work, but oiling needs to be looked at then.

What is in the way?

Well, its like a space or 'tunnel' is formed around the props with the disposition of the other items such as the fuel tank and exhaust for example (at the rear), to move the prop location to the other side means re-engineering the installation of those items; as they are shaped and biased to suit the side they were manufactured for it possibly means bespoke items being made for both of them as a start. I have the classic stuck on the ramp with at present otherwise I would take a pic to illustrate the problem. Could also be that the floor pan itself is pressed with an offset, I have never looked , but it isn't the 'meccano' set that a defender is so there is no seat box etc. behind the tunnel if any thing else had to be altered. I am guessing that moving one thing would lead to at least ten others to be sorted in consequence

7 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Well, its like a space or 'tunnel' is formed around the props with the disposition of the other items such as the fuel tank and exhaust for example (at the rear), to move the prop location to the other side means re-engineering the installation of those items; as they are shaped and biased to suit the side they were manufactured for it possibly means bespoke items being made for both of them as a start. I have the classic stuck on the ramp with at present otherwise I would take a pic to illustrate the problem. Could also be that the floor pan itself is pressed with an offset, I have never looked , but it isn't the 'meccano' set that a defender is so there is no seat box etc. behind the tunnel if any thing else had to be altered. I am guessing that moving one thing would lead to at least ten others to be sorted in consequence

Rear exhaust and fuel tank will be untouched as only the front diff is other handed, rear remains as is.

OP may need to adjust front section of exhaust if it's a V8 and obviously the entire axle needs swapping out with a Disco2 one, and the front propshaft (I think) as the P38 may be different due to transfer case size and geometry.

11 hours ago, JohnnoK said:

Rear exhaust and fuel tank will be untouched as only the front diff is other handed, rear remains as is.

Where are you getting this? Both diffs drop to the same side, if you fit an LT230, which has both outputs offset, you'll need to change both axles.

Blanco is completely correct, at least the fuel tank and exhaust, probably EAS tank, and I'm wondering if the whole driveline isn't offset a little so you'll run into clearance issues with the sump etc. It's not as easy as it sounds.

• Like 1

Indeed, both propshafts are off center, to the left side on the P38 and to the right on most other LRs, including those with an LT230 like the Disco2.

On the P38 the engine isn't centered either, it sits slightly to the right in the chassis. Shouldn't affect the prop, but it does mean less clearance between the diff and sump should you fit a Disco2 axle.

If fitting an LT230 was as easy as on a Classic, we would have done it a long time ago!

Filip

12 hours ago, elbekko said:

Where are you getting this? Both diffs drop to the same side, if you fit an LT230, which has both outputs offset, you'll need to change both axles.

I was getting it from someone trying to flog me a diff, but a visit with the Mk1 eyeball tells me I am misled. My sincerest apologies.