Battery / alternator

hi I need help 1999 110 td5 Defender I stopped for 20 min on Friday left my lights on which are all led battery flat got home charged battery replaced also measured voltage while running it read 11.7 v tried to start but just but nothing battery reading 12.8 v before .

so I put a new alternator in and still reading 11.8 v help please

Welcome to the forums.

So you have charged the battery and replaced the alternator?

I assume that you are reading the voltage across the battery terminals?

Is your battery still holding 12.8v?

I am no expert, but if it were mine I would check that the main battery cables are fully connected and tight. (at both ends)

Check that there is a good earth from the battery to the gearbox / chassis.

Check the live terminal on the starter motor to make sure that everything is still properly connected and done up tight. (the main battery +, and live feed from the alternator connect here)

Checked everything .I am now thinking that the 2 small wires at the back of the alternator are the problem I think that the alternator  in being told not to put out the voltage if that's makes sense to anybody 

If the small wire for the charge warning lamp isn't connected, the alternator will (usually) not charge. Do you have the warning light on the dash with engine running? If not, does it come on during the bulb check? A broken bulb is the same as no connection.