A BIG, BIG thank you !!!!!!

Arjan

So do I....

However, this is not something one really plans.....  having a forum relay like this is just Awesome.

I now need to think about the lifting mechanism.

Gas struts are not my 1st choice for several reasons..

A scissor lift, worm wheel driven ?, sounds like a good idea here but I'm not sure how to buitd / where to get some

I want the roof to lift horizontally to create standinghight in the back - not some hinged affair...

Suggestions anybody ?

Four linear actuators?

There was a long discussion about this sort of thing, though for a hinged roof, but would equally apply for a straight up roof, you just needed to add another member to make it lift flat.

You could use a simple folding leg arrangement - I'm thinking of the simple type of hinged folding struts you have to secure the legs on a camping table that locks under slight tension (can't think what the proper name is 🤔)  , maybe with a sliding collar that slips over the joint.  I'm sure a buddy of mine used that setup on a big 130 camper roof. 

Interesting suggestion......

@Stephen : you were spot on !! on the sides there is 6 mm. space so a good tight fit. Once build, the Mrs. will respray it. We are not sure what she'll do as the mentioned something about painting a flag on top...

Diagonally crossing gas struts should lift it vertically if they're the same spec on each axis (ie 4 long for the sides, two 'X"s, and 4 shorter for the narrower front and back edges to keep the lid laterally stable).  Some nylon guide blocks on the roll cage to guide the lid accurately back in place when stowing would prevent paint or lid damage, as the struts would allow some lateral and longtudinal displacement as you pull it down.