Plower electric Defender

cackshifter

Indeed.

Thinking laterally, there's no reason why you couldn't have a charge socket accessible from the drivers seat, and the charging lead designed in such a way that it can be reached though an open window.

That said, I reckon most taxi drivers would be quite happy to get off their backside once in a while, and would welcome plugging into free/cheap electricity at the rank.

The trucks have to take a 45 minute break every 4.5 hours so that't the target. If they're a tramper 11 hours a day as well.

Delivery vans are usually stop start, low speed, short distance so lower energy consumption than hammering at 70 down the motorway for hours on end and parked at the depot overnight so should work in cities, maybe not so well on rural runs, but the cities have the worst congestion / smog so the greatest benefit. 

The scalextrix idea and the wireless charging have both been trialled but I'm not sure how they went, I think they're still at the mad idea stage.

India trialled compressed air powered taxis, very energy inefficient but good for the smog. Don't know how that went either. 

I think it's chicken and egg, the company can only buy what's put infront of them, and it has to be practical and cost effective, the manufacturer will only put up serious money if they are likely to make money, just changing legislation tends to lead to just fudging around to make do, and they won't put in the charging infrastructure unless there is customer demand to cover the cost. 

I wonder how the self driving heathrow car park taxi things charge? It's a good test bed for the technology I guess. 

On 6/25/2019 at 2:13 PM, Cynic-al said:

The scalextrix idea and the wireless charging have both been trialled but I'm not sure how they went, I think they're still at the mad idea stage.

Overhead power lines are already being tested in Germany.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/9/18538030/germany-ehighway-siemens-vw-group-electrified-cables-wires-overhead-electric-hybrid-trucks

That's pretty swish, the driver hasn't got much room for error for keeping it in lane though, I guess to overtake they'd have to drop it, overtake, then raise it again to carry on charging. 

To think of the miles and miles of trolley bus lines that were pulled out of towns in the uk in the 60s and now they're thinking of putting them back in as a revolutionary new idea :rofl:

• Like 1

This is good:

Range:                               +260km (official range tests to be finalized)

The Plower defender is a mad Idea in my opinion; I mean we are struggling to get a good range on any normal car, so a 2+ ton brick?

And how far does it gets you off road?

It is a Dutch thing, we are being green here, but where is the genie pack to run it?

Speaking of Dutch inventions, and electric busses, there is (or was) this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbus_(transport

Thunderbirds are go!

Invented by the only dutch man in space, so it must be good - or so must the politicians have thought, and happily ploughed a lot of taxpayers money in it.

It was very success full; except for the flat batteries after 2 laps of the testing circuit.

Daan

I guess the superbus is ok for long journeys but not sure the 160mph will help around town :unsure:

We have a few kerb guided bus routes in the UK where the bus has a horizontally mounted wheel either side that runs on the kerb and controls the front wheel steering. It's supposed to allow a higher speed in a narrower space and make stopping more consistent for disabled access etc. I guess that would work for the pantograph etc system and fast charging batteries that they tell us are coming, charge it in the lanes then allow it to go off into the world to do the rest of its route with a full battery :unsure: 

5660.jpg

220px-BusAt-CoolingLane-KerbGuidedBusSto

Post ruined again :D