Retroanaconda

Good quality exhausts for 200Tdi

For whatever reason it seems almost impossible to buy a 200Tdi exhaust from brand that lasts these days, the one on my 90 now has been fitted since I did the chassis last June and it's pretty rusty on the welds already after just 35,000 miles. It's also the prime suspect as the source of quite a drone at certain speeds.

I used to buy Bosal years ago but can't find them any more for the 200Tdi. Current one is from Klarius. Land Rover still list the genuine parts which I am sure would last better, but at £277 for the centre box and £244 for the rear it makes for a fair wedge to splash out!

An option may be to convert to the later Td5/Tdci middle and back boxes, which could give me more options potentially with being a more recent part.

Would be interested to hear what others are doing.

It's probably best to bite the bullet and go stainless, even if just one section at a time.

• Like 1

The last 2 I’ve brought I’ve had off eBay, a seller called Regis exhausts the one on the 110 200tdi has been on 2 years or more and is fine it’s a straight through jobbie with a sports rear silencer , the second one I’ve put on the project . Can take a few pics of the one on the 110 for you James if you’d like ? So you can see how it’s holding up, the other one I’ve just brought for the project 90 was £107 .

Happy with my Double S stainless system fitted for over 18 years, they repaired the rear box/tailpipe when I found a crack in the weld. 

I would by another if I had a 2nd 90 or 110.

Cheers Ian, would be interested to see.

I did consider stainless, but at the best part of a grand for a Double S system I could buy the already ridiculously expensive genuine parts twice!

Although for some reason if one buys the Double S system through Britpart it’s half the price!?

Something suspicious going on there...

Got mine from E H Douglas in Wardington near Banbury, 

I'm building my own stainless exhaust...might have a few more welds in it than a pucka stainless mandrel bent in one exhaust, but it won't be costing me a grand!

Posted (edited)

I think my custom made stainless system was only £500. It must be 7 years old now so has mostly paid for itself vs potential replacements (although the flexi joint is leaking so does need replacement and i will need someone to do that as i dont have the kit to weld stainless steel)

Edited by reb78

If you fancy a day in Oxfordshire, I know a chap who build exhausts for a living and is really reasonably priced. 

Famous Four can supply a full stainless (4 pipe) system for a 110 (19j 2.5TD) now fitted with a 200tdi for £299 + VAT and delivery.  Total of £381 including delivery overnight. If one of those can be made to fit there's your solution. And its made for them by Double-S.

James,

I have a system from Griffin... (http://www.griffinperformance.co.uk/index.htm)

Stainless with a custom exit from the rear box modelled on SteveG's old 90...  Great fit and still looks great under the truck... 

James is a really nice guy and I felt happy to buy from his as he knew Rupert (Our resident mad farmer)...

The site only mentions a 300 but I'm sure 200 is something that he will have a pattern for too...

Mine was around £500 with straight through centre section in 2014.... I've since added another centre box from James as it droned on a bit once I went to auto.. (Sign of me getting old?)

Pics when installed....

Front.jpg.69aaebfa42c9877c72936002f12066e8.jpg

Centre.jpg.968baa86bcbdb70a9aa5b47418c2ff72.jpg

Rear.jpg.8e70a7a08353cd255ad59432f177969e.jpg

Taken last weekend....

Recent.thumb.jpg.84e0753ebfa48d2b3784f4510c589537.jpg

Now please may I cause some upheavel ?. When I needed an exhaust for my 300Tdi Defender. I wanted a pipe with no box. Imagine my dismay when the pipe arrived with BRITPART stickers on it.I can't remember when I bought it but it has seen two back boxes fitted. ! ! ! 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, mmgemini said:

Now please may I cause some upheavel ?. When I needed an exhaust for my 300Tdi Defender. I wanted a pipe with no box. Imagine my dismay when the pipe arrived with BRITPART stickers on it.I can't remember when I bought it but it has seen two back boxes fitted. ! ! ! 

So the Britpart pipe outlasted two back boxes, shocking.

It seems Britpart's poor quality control may not perfect.

Perhaps, once in a while, a decent part may slip through.

Edited by MR-HIPPO
  • Like 1

Stainless would be a good fit and forget solution but the more affordable ones (Double S) have mixed reviews across the ‘net with lots of mentions of mild steel flanges and poor fitment. If I’m spending that amount of cash I want it to fit perfectly and last forever. Custom built is an option but it does seem odd that I should need to do that for what is a standard part.

The main quality I’m looking for other than longevity is quietness - I have no interest in a noisy exhaust droning away on the motorway for 10 hours at a time so the quieter the better! Lots of aftermarket systems seem geared towards performance over quietness.

Theres no flexi joint in the 200Tdi system from the factory, do we think adding one might help with vibration/noise? One could be put into the downpipe fairly easily I would think, and they don’t rust like the other sections do.

I use a lot of Britpart exhausts and not had a problem in ten years. For the price I don't mind if it needs changing every few years, though I've not binned one yet- the cars tend to get changed or modified before an exhaust gets old. 

The last Britpart back box I used (out of ease and desperation one year to sort an MOT) lasted less than six months!

Here you go James had a look on ebay and it's 2 years old today ,

SAM_2079.JPG.d4ae53b08895ae986dd81714ae06c55c.JPG

SAM_2080.JPG.aec70a49e06e76b3736eec1f94056c82.JPG

SAM_2081.JPG.e2518e1f9b3e884fae6ed5b534ec3b27.JPG

the underside needs a good jet washing but my jet washer hose is broke and I can't get the fitting off the washer end hahaha , I paid £82 for the center section and rear bit and its just cost me £107 for a full one for the 300tdi 90 .

cheers Ian

Ebay exhaust for me. Less than £100. Standard 200tdi exhaust note. Been on a year, jet washed once a month. Looks fine so far. I just need a new back exhaust mount welded on, coz I've removed the rattley rear step, which it was mounted to.

Brought a full stainless system off Rimmer Bros, 13 years and 100,000 km later I had the manifolds fail with a blow just behind a fractured weld (same place on both) but good as gold Rimmers honoured the lifetime warranty and replaced the manifold, so I would whole heartedly recommend purchase again just based on the customer service on the warranty has saved me cost of two new manifolds. I assume they would have a 200 tdi fitment available.

I've fitted a TD5 exhaust for precisely this reason. Downpipe remains 200tdi, then a short connection piece, then TD5 centre and back boxes. You'll have to make/modify some of the exhaust hangers but nothing too difficult.

I’ve got a Double S stainless on my 200 tdi  was on when I got it 23 years ago still ok

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 6:54 PM, ianmayco68 said:

Here you go James had a look on ebay and it's 2 years old today ,

Thanks Ian. I’m guessing it’s a bit louder with the straight pipes?

11 hours ago, Hazza said:

I've fitted a TD5 exhaust for precisely this reason. Downpipe remains 200tdi, then a short connection piece, then TD5 centre and back boxes. You'll have to make/modify some of the exhaust hangers but nothing too difficult.

Interesting. Do you have any pictures of the connection piece? I think I’ve seen similar where there’s a short 4” or so of exhaust which links the 200Tdi downpipe to the Td5 centre box.

I’d hope that the brackets would bolt straight onto mine with it being a later chassis. It has the outrigger style mount just forward of the centre silencer which the earlier chassis don’t have as they use the one built into the transfer box mount.

Did you find it any better in terms of noise than the Tdi system?

IIRC correctly James, one hanger bolts on by nearside transfer mount, one on the big crossmember and one on rear cross member. I used genuine when I did mine.

HTH

Mo