New to me toys

On 8/18/2020 at 1:59 AM, Stellaghost said:

Well Lidl's finest didnt last two minutes so treated myself to one of these regards Stephen 

20200817_143414.jpg

I need one of these for cutting auto glass, the little abbrasive disks are about the only way I've found of semi reliably cutting windscreens to match roof chops and the lighter body is better than my electric die grinder for dressing welds in difficult unbrace-able spots..... catch is for the price of the Dremel I can buy 3 Hikoki 5" grinders (with change lol) 
Speaking of grinders those sanding disks are a great score.... not to many people use them here, I love them they are the best thing you can use for panel work or blending 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm pretty impressed with Axminster tools.  I have one of their trade pillar drills - and it's great!  10x better than most shady Chinese ones.  We have one the same at work which gets a hard life - and survives.

I had a look at their CNC Lathe & Mill.  Although they are badged Chinese machines, they have done some quality control & modification as far as I could see.  I also looked at an un-badged version and the general fit & finish was nowhere near as good.  It appears Axminster are actually providing a value added service rather than just shifting boxes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, simonr said:

I'm pretty impressed with Axminster tools.  I have one of their trade pillar drills - and it's great!  10x better than most shady Chinese ones.  We have one the same at work which gets a hard life - and survives.

I had a look at their CNC Lathe & Mill.  Although they are badged Chinese machines, they have done some quality control & modification as far as I could see.  I also looked at an un-badged version and the general fit & finish was nowhere near as good.  It appears Axminster are actually providing a value added service rather than just shifting boxes.

I’ve used a fair bit of their wood machines over the years and they’ve always been great.

On the bandsaw front I was looking at a Baileigh but the reviews didn’t come across well so ended up looking at the slightly different Axminster one with great reviews. I think that’s the one Stephen has got! 

• Like 1

Axminster tools are very well made, if you can get to the shop itself, expect to leave with an empty wallet

It's a woodworking wet dream in there, i've come away with items i never even knew existed and further more never knew i needed!

Staff are very good and informative, if they're not sure they hunt down someone who is to talk to you, i've had nothing but good response's from them

• Like 1

I've decided I like this saw, well you never know when you buy without looking and Axminster shop is a bloody long way from me. It feels robust and it is very heavy. For anyone that's interested I'm already looking at a few modifications to make it better / easier to live with first one being change Phillip's screw on guard to a plastic wheel type fixing so that when I need to change speed I dont have to go looking for a screwdriver 

20210116_140428.thumb.jpg.adf14708293f0832f45c5685fc494b7c.jpg

There is a handy storage section under the saw with a lockable access door the only problem being that that the slot for cutting angle adjustment is above said compartment and thus allows cutting swarf to fall through into storage area. I plan to fold some steel and make 4 spacers to raise saw about 20mm this will stop swarf falling in and also allow me to blow swarf out after use

20210116_140440.thumb.jpg.8f09b6c25765608f18da2d8ba5901f86.jpg

Position of vice looks odd but it's like this to allow for cutting at an angle, however if I make a removable spacer  I will be able to increase the capacity of the vice by around 25mm for the odd time it may be needed, this would have to be removed when angle cutting

20210116_140453.thumb.jpg.c0f735bf057c1b85654020bc6915a611.jpg

I'm not being critical  just seeing things that make this saw easier and more flexible to use regards Stephen 

• Like 2

The top arm assembly looks like a less-awful version of my Machine Mart one, there's definitely a range of quality out there even on machines that all look alike or are notionally made from the same patterns.

There's an Axminster 2 minutes from me, it's murder! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm vice will not tighten been on the phone to axminster and fair play to them they are sending a new vice nut out, was only on the phone a couple of mins, very helpful I do appreciate stuff can fail but good customer service certainly makes it a lot more palatable top marks to them regards Stephen

• Like 4

Late to the party, but going back to the Lidl tools part of this discussion, I've had a few bits from there over the years, and looking back the only thing that has lasted beyond about 5 minutes was a pair of extendable plasterboard props. The rest of it has been utter garbage, especially anything with electricity in it. Dremel jobbie broke on 1st use, corded drill with so little torque the motor ate itself, gas soldering pen not far behind.

Agreed about the dremel jobbie total cack for me however the soldering pen has worked champion at the end of the day it depends on what you want, I do believe to a point buy good buy once. The way that works for me is all about usage,  metalworking you could say is my main hobby and it's what i do on a very regular basis so in general i mainly buy the best i can afford and usually get a long and trouble free life, ie; snap on, Milwaukee etc for general DIY  and woodworking I tend not to be as fussy primarily because tools required for those functions are for me not in daily use if you get what I mean regards Stephen 

• 3 weeks later...

Nice little haul today from old workshop that's closing in my village

3 phase Alfred Herbert drill will need to convert to single phase

20210223_122959.thumb.jpg.a2348c31c8da0a596d5dad854d5752f7.jpg

20210223_123005.thumb.jpg.7db3929e9eadaaa5018a12059924333d.jpg

20210223_123012.thumb.jpg.2ee6f0c8766807694fec87d50a457bb1.jpg

Two evolution mag drills newest one not working but seems like a dodgy switch

20210223_125811.thumb.jpg.f1381287cdfd48fa0b0585cff709f5c2.jpg

A jig saw and some power shears working fine and a large 3 jaw lathe chuck,, very happy regards Stephen 

20210223_125911.jpg

20210223_125828.jpg

• Like 4