Riveting stuff

Something else i purchased recently they are called clecos a type of removable rivet i used for them  test fitting panels before riveting up I'm  finding them quite usefull got mine from amazon

20190620_174621.jpg

20190620_174657.jpg

Edited by Stellaghost
Spelling

Yes seen them used quite a few times on wheeler dealers and a few other car programs, been meant to look for a set but weren’t at the top of the list but might have to get a set now I’ve got them  saved in my watch list on eBay .

A real life example of where I have used them. Lining the new rear floor for drilling holes before painting and then used when reassembling. I will try and find the later photo for posting

20180609_133232.jpg

Edited by soutie
Spelling

Very handy indeed.

I bought some when I was rebuilding my truck, they were very handy for test fitting lots of body parts cappings, under floor supports etc, and especially useful when fitting the galvanised battery tray & under seat tool box into my old seatbox.

For single handed operation, I drilled an old ally body section with lots of 4.8mm holes to act as a holder for the clecos, this worked well and allowed me to pick them up with the pliers, and insert them while still having a free hand to hold the work pieces in place.

One of those tools that you could go a lifetime without, yet once you use them you wish you had discovered them years ago.

31 minutes ago, MR-HIPPO said:

For single handed operation, I drilled an old ally body section with lots of 4.8mm holes to act as a holder for the clecos, this worked well and allowed me to pick them up with the pliers, and insert them while still having a free hand to hold the work pieces in place

what an excellent idea will be adopting that in the future

33 minutes ago, MR-HIPPO said:

One of those tools that you could go a lifetime without, yet once you use them you wish you had discovered them years ago.

How very true

Regards Stephen

Yes I found myself needing a third hand quite often while trying to use them.

clecoHolder.jpg

Crude, but an effective way to free up a hand.

Handy for storage & makes it easier to keep track of the little buggers during use as well.

If I were to make it again, (and not just smack holes through a conveniently sized piece of scrap) I would add a couple of bends / lips to act as stand offs / feet.

Happy tinkering, I would be curious to see what you come up with, Hippo.

Edited by MR-HIPPO
  • Like 1

Very interesting, "Skin Pins." not seen those before.

Am I correct in assuming that you can push the threaded pin into place through the work piece into the rear section, tighten with the nut, then remove by squeezing the rear section to release the pin?

Edited by MR-HIPPO
I like a good fiddle.

2 hours ago, MR-HIPPO said:

Very interesting, "Skin Pins." not seen those before.

Am I correct in assuming that you can push the threaded pin into place through the work piece into the rear section, tighten with the nut, then remove by squeezing the rear section to release the pin?

You push them through, hold the body and pull the nut out, then tighten it.

Unscrew the nut, push the stem back in and withdraw to remove.

I find they hold tighter than Clecos, but take longer to fit and remove. A mate who is an aircraft sheetie has both, for quick or strong applications.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whilst we're talking about riveting stuff this is a tool I  bought a couple of years back does pop rivets of varying sizes up to 4mm diameter on the steel pin and rivitnuts as well up to 12mm all done with interchangeable  heads regards Stephen

20190704_154520.jpg

Edited by Stellaghost

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 12:57 PM, landroversforever said:

Let me dig out the monster box of them I've got stashed at Mom and Dad's. I'll stick an ad in the for sale forum.

When you do, ..... if the monster box is amenable....... I'll bid for a big handfull too:D

• 1 month later...

Just bought this today at a local show as my old eclipse ones are knackered never heard of the make rep said they are an Irish company making quality not cheap tools at present they are trying to break into other areas must say seems very solid construction no play and smooth in operation time will tell if they last the 20yrs I had the eclipse ones regards Stephen 

20190826_190730.jpg