darthdicky

Steering “jumped” 90deg

Hit a hidden bump pretty hard on a recent trip out and my steering wheel is now about a quarter rotation off where it used to be. I’m reasonably sure this is in the box rather than the splines rotating or anything else, and I’m pretty sure it happened on my old 90 after hitting a tree root on a lane. Don’t think it did any serious damage then but the box started leaking shortly after and it got changed a few months later before the MOT so I don’t know about long term effects.

Is this a common occurrence and nothing much to worry about? Seems to drive fine still and goes lock to lock without any problems, I’m just trying to understand what part of it jumps and whether I should be getting hold of another steering box as a spare?

Richard

Have you checked your drag link?

Yep both strengthened bars are straight still but I am wondering whether the collapsible link in the steering column is still as it was? Poor photo attached, I’ll compare with some other tomorrow and see if it looks right. Doesn’t seem to be any play in it though.

richard

1104FE18-2582-467B-9CDB-F089733BBFF0.jpeg

remove it & the 2 UJ's, then you'll be able to see if its good or not. looks like the collapsible joint has moved apart, mine is closed up.

WP_20181116_15_47_37_Pro.jpg

If it's moved a quarter of a turn I'd suspect it's twisted the sector shaft, I'd advise looking at the steering box very closely as if they sheer ( & they are known to after a impact) it drops the droparm out the steering box

I would remove and inspect the column link and UJs and if they all look ok I would replace/repair the steering box and not drive the car. Just not worth the risk.

Worth checking all the balljoints too for play.