Got my RRC back better than I left it

Shackleton

I dropped my 3.9EFI RR in for it's test [it passed] and when it came out it was much more responsive and powerful. I mean night and day different. I needed to go get a bulb for a visual retest and the service station is 1km from the test centre. Went there, stopped the car, got the bulb, went back, got my test cert. Somewhere in between the car went back to performing like it had before the test.

Just to say that the test here is carried out by dedicated test centres. There's no work done on cars, it goes in one side of the centre, is tested for the usual stuff and comes out the other side of the building almost like a production line. You sit in a waiting room in the meantime and you can see the test floor. I figure whatever happened happened when the car was being revved for emissions testing.

Why!? And how do I make the regained performance permanent? I initially thought MAF replacement but if that was dodgy surely it wouldn't pass emissions.

Edited by Shackleton

I'd be looking at something ignition timing related for a marked difference in power, so mechanical advance weights sticking, vac advance link worn, dizzy bearings worn - stuff like that. If it passed the emissions test the fueling can't be too far out. Congrats on it passing, though! 

Haven't driven it since really, our tax starts on the first of the month and is ludicrously expensive so I'm waiting for July 1 to tax. Will have a good rummage around in the meantime, haven't heard of a few of those things so thanks for all the steers. Hopefully it just needs a good blow out.

Thanks for the congrats too, was a big day. Might have gotten a bit of a shaky bottom lip when I was in the queue for the retest and realised it was just a formality. Been a journey.

Thanks J, next instalment will be the start to finish of the Vogue all in one, and it's been a mammoth edit. The raw stop motion footage came to 6.5hrs! I'm now thinking that presuming the much reduced edit still won't be to everyone's taste, I might hold off just a little longer and bring a second episode with a return to the Esprit in tandem to the Vogue end of story.

Just realised that the test result here is a bit of a scoop [outside of the patron behind the scenes videos], hope it wasn't a spoiler :lol:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's worth making up (or buying) a lead and downloading the Roverguage software, you can then check what each sensor is saying and check function.

Congrats on the pass! Looking forward to the latest video :)

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2019 at 12:19 PM, task said:

It's worth making up (or buying) a lead and downloading the Roverguage software, you can then check what each sensor is saying and check function.

To be fair a £5 multimeter from eBay can check the sensors on these things, there's not much to the system.