S1 Radiator Panel differences

Team Idris

Once upon a long time ago (early 90’s) I was in a rush to get my Landy back on the road for work. On the list of many things I needed to avoid was welding up the rad box. So I used the one off the very early 80” GVJ 195. Which should have had the lights behind the grill but had been upgraded.

Now I have time to weld it up and have done so, (before there wasn’t enough left to study what it should be like) (bottom rail) Here is the the aluminium 80” one with a cross bar and side holes and the 88” one, now reunited with my 58’ :)

I cant imagine the ally one ever rots out, but if someone needs one it’s going back up the garden with the 80” windscreen that no one wants :D

fascinating how a part you wouldn’t look at twice is vastly different. Headlights hole pressing ‘out’ vs ‘in’ on the ally one.

2D7D8EAC-2962-47A6-9FD7-B1E93138074D.jpeg

B61DD093-234F-49AA-8636-E2ECFC68CDD0.jpeg

26542073-9241-4441-91B5-D93F91F17C8B.jpeg

Edited by Team Idris

Mine is a lights through the grill model. There are other subtle differences it seems between versions of that S1 type too -  I’ve seen them called out on the S1 forum, with people looking to make sure they have the right type for their date of production.

Mine had rotted at the bottom - and I’ve seen a few like that. I guess dissimilar metal corrosion starting from where it bolts to the front chassis cross member has a role to play in it too? 

As far as I can tell;

both main series one types have three bolt holes on the side, but on 80” the bottom inner wing holes are about 4.5” apart and the 86-88” are 3.5” apart.

80” has three main types: lights behind the grill, (well early), lights through the grill (ally)(bottom grill tags are riveted on) and lights either side of the grill (ally) (looks like S2)(grill tags are stamped from the front ally sheet)

88” is steel, one big hole, same rad mount holes as 80” but (As said) different inner wing bolt spacing. Grill tags are back to being riveted on. 

86” don’t know to be honest. 

Here is a picture of my mates 86-88” with the inner wing drilled for the earlier front. 

96B9F318-7E2C-4FDA-B6C6-EC81C7521745.jpeg