European road trip - Calais > Alps > Italian Lakes - suggest us some sights!

We're heading off in the ambulance for a little jaunt round Europe and looking for suggestions of things to see & do on-route.

Could possibly forum relay any small items on route too ;) as long as they don't leak EP90 in the sleeping quarters!

Rough plan is;

• Swift drive down via Amiens, Reims, Nancy, arriving at Mulhouse (for the car museum)
  • Through Annecy, Bern, Lausanne, French Alps for nonspecific scenic touring (mountains, glaciers, castles, trees n' stuff, you know)
  • Pausing and camping in one of the national parks Vanoise, Ecrins, or Queyras
  • Nipping into Italy to possibly visit Lake Maggiore
  • If we have time, over to Brescia for the Mille Miglia museum
  • Return route across to Milan, past lake Como, Lugano, Lucerne, Basel,  Mulhouse, etc etc.

...or we might do it in reverse order :rolleyes: it's all a bit fluid at the moment.

Heading out on the 6th, back on the 21st.

Open to any suggestions for things to see & do on-route or in the rough area of the route.

• Like 1

Wow, that is a lot of driving over the two weeks, ... as I get older I must say I tend towards much more the 'slow food' approach to travel, .... although I do all the driving, so that at least is part of it. All those areas are outside my summer experience unfortunately so I can't add much to the sum of knowledge there, .... enjoy .... hope the weather is kind to you :)

😁😭

Not yet really.....

However, one never knows..

We're about 600 kms. (foreign distance unit - something like 440 miles in your money) away from Calais so perhaps a bit far away.. Fuel is less expensive off Autoroute (Peage) and we prefer the Route Nationals to the Autoroutes. Takes a bit longer but less stress as the speeds are now in general 80 km/h and that is good cruising with 110's etc..

You're welcome to come by - we're 50 miles north of Clermond-Ferrant in the Allier...

Enjoy the trip !

You're welcome.

Please make sure the tracks you'd like to do are open - the Winter and Spring has caused loads of landslides and many oistes and stradas are closed..

Have Fun !

30 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Please make sure the tracks you'd like to do are open - the Winter and Spring has caused loads of landslides and many oistes and stradas are closed..

We won't be going off-road in the ambulance, it shakes the beer up :D but if there's a source of info on alpine passes etc. being open/closed that would be useful.

• Haha 1

Talk to the locals is the only way..

That's what we do.

Many are now closed with barriers, but often by Order..

Anything InterNet is outdated and usu. not reliable..

Have Fun !

Looks like a great trip!

You might want to have a look at the schedule for the Tour de France as it's the same period. Wont be much fun if you get stuck in or behind hordes of mamils...

Enjoy!

Filip

If you're nearby I'd recommend going up and touring around Verdon Gorge, I went climbing there a few years ago in late September and it was spectacular although hot. If you drive up through La Palad sur Verdon and carry on (don't double back along the gorge) then you can find a car park down the bottom where you can walk through the tunnels that were blasted in the past which is well worth it - there are some nice via ferratas along the way as well.

On 6/28/2019 at 3:21 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Yeah we're going to try and avoid the TDF shenanigans. Would be good to see a bit of it, but the hassle of trying to get near it / battling the uber-fans for space doesn't appeal.

TDF ends the 14 July stage 6 miles up the road from where I am currently sat. You could park here and take the train into Brioude. Should be absolutely mad, stage end and Bastille day all in one day.