PAS Steering Box.....Recomendations

4 bolt PAS steering box ....

Last year it started to leak, ....

I fitted a new seal kit, ....

hasn't lasted 5 minutes !! .., so the shaft has had it and I need a completely new unit

If new who / where are the best to get, prices ??

if Reconditioned same question ?

Thanks

I read somewhere that these aren't made new any longer !

When Mo needed one a while back he was told Britpart was the only official source as Adwest weren't selling to anyone else at the time...

If you can get one, it may be Britpart, with Adwest on the stamp, but no telling what the final quality may be.... 

Paddocks are advertising new....

image.png.141391e078f575e292b2748597fec569.png

As someone who worked for Adwest about 20 years ago, I know that about one third of all Adwest recon boxes failed within twelve to eighteen months. Fundamentally once you have wear on the sector shaft then the box will always leak again.

I don't know if anyone is machining up new sector shafts etc., but I would put money on the failure rate of recon boxes nowadays being just the same as it was. Mind you looking at the prices its probably worth going recon and hoping you get one of the two thirds that doesn't fail!

• Like 1

The bolt pattern is obviously different from the standard box, but with some fabwork that should be ok. On the 70th anniversary, it looks like there is a spacer plate to bolt between the box and chassis. I have never seen a 70th anniversary Landy, so I am guessing. The orientation is different on the P38, so the idle shaft sits outside the chassis rail, as opposed to inside the rail for the defender. I have got a LHD p38 box for this reason, so the idler shaft sits again on the inside (of a RHD vehicle).

I can post a picky tonight if you like. Plan is to fit the box over the winter months, hopefully for my landy to be used again next summer.

Daan

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for speedisleeve. Did mine (RRC) last year & used the blue coloured seal & to date not a drop.

31.75mm sleeve & you will need a suitable sized bit of tube to tap it into place.

Dieseldog did a good writeup which is what I followed but photobucket have stolen the photos.

Edited by paintman
  • Like 1

The adwest recon boxes now have a phosphor bronze sleeve that loses the crappy bottom bearing, they are machined to take a deeper oil seal as well - hence the huge price...no idea if they work

I buy them form C&D motor factors in Bridgwater for about 200notes, recon (but not by adwest) and don't usually have issues