110 brake weirdness...

Hi,

I've just walked 90 minutes home, leaving the 110 parked up.

Although these event may not be linked, here's what's happened: a while back a steel line to a front caliper got mashed so I hammered it over to stop the leak and thought 'better deal with that soon' cos 3 amigos good, 3 brakes less so. Last week I fixed it and had to re-bleed a little but there was clearly summit else wrong. Very hard to get any brake fluid from the front nipples and the servo started making a big hiss every time the pedal was pressed. Drove around for a few days with no assistance, decided all was well with brakes at wheels but needed a servo, which I ordered but do not have yet (lrdirect?, not so much...). Anyway, tonight the front brakes are suddenly binding so severely that the heat build-up/expansion makes it undriveable - I had to use low range to get it safely off the road, it would no longer drive in high.

So, I guess I need to add a master cylinder to the shopping list? Surely there's no other possibility...???? BUT I'd be interested to hear if anybody's has a similar tale, cos I've had brakes fail 'off' before, but never 'on'. Or am I missing something ?

Cheers

Is it possible that the Calliper that ended up open to atmosphere has ended up with water in it, or the line?

soon as heat is added to the moisture you get expansion thus binding the brakes, this gets them really hot then you get steam from the water, and the brakes lock solid...... may be a thought as you’d only need water expansion in one side to affect all that section of the circuit (both fronts)

good luck!

Thanks people,

I havent had a chance to recover it home to sort as I've been caught up in another unrelated  engine swap ... and its HOT outside.

Anything (water, master cylinder, flexi) is possible: I've an open mind and will post up as soon as I know in case it ever helps anybody in the future...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close this - the master cylinder was sticking. I haven't opened it up to look at why cos I found a branded boxed new one for sale 30 mins from here, so all good now. I blew out the flexis just to check - all good there.

Cheers

• Thanks 1