How to put a value on a project 90?

My 200tdi 90 has terminal chassis rust. It is too far gone to save and a new chassis is the way forward. 

I have owned it for 20+ years and it pains me to do it but I just don't have the time (or money) (or inclination) to start a full rebuild. I can see it sitting on the drive or in the garage for years to come, deteriorating further and taking up space. So I fear it is time for it to go. But how can I determine its value - I know it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but I don't want to give it away and want to get a fair price for it. 

But where to start - values seem to be all over the place! 

It is a late '93 so it has factory disk brakes with the 200tdi. It was originally an HT but converted to SW not long after I got it. 

It is mechanically good, recent new transfer box, heated front screen, heated seats, 2002 style dash fitted. 

The bulkhead and all 3 doors were replaced about 8/9 years ago - although there is a little rust just bubbling through.

Any steer on value would be greatly appreciated. 

2k, make bug of the new bits, and you'll probably get it if you can wait.

Though, there are some companies that will do the swap for a semi-fixed price.... Compare that to whatever you are going to have to spend above your sale price to replace it.

better the car you know in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

I suggest you contact people like Richards Chassis and their neighbour to get a price for the chassis and the replacement.

This will give you a real world figure to work from.

Once swopped, you'll have a vehicle that could outlive you and you'll need to worry about the normal maintenance..

Obviously, it is quite a bit of money but you'll have something worth more to sell , if you have to, but also less worries..

I have a 110 chassis here for this very purpose as the Td5 based 110 will need a new chassis and bulkhead within 3-4 years..

Just give a thought to it's condition in 10 years with a new galv. chassis ...

and then think about the condition of whatever vehicle(s) you replace it with over those 10 years

It has a good bulkhead and doors that can be maintained and preserved and you have extensive history with it

should I continue ? :)

Steve b 

• Like 1

I think you'll kick yourself in 5 years' time if you sell it now. To give a comparison, i got quoted £3,850 + VAT to supply and fit a new galv chassis to my 90 TD5. I reckon a decent 200tdi with a galv chassis is worth more than £6k so you can't really lose if you do the chassis. Worst case scenario you can sell the truck and get your money back plus possibly a bit extra.