Jump to content
reb78

R380 Oil Cooler

Recommended Posts

Could the non thermostat approach not work nicely combined with a water to oil heatexchanger? That way your gearboxoil would always be sort of the right temp?

/mads    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or, don't fit one, and change the oil every year, 10,000 miles if driven south of the channel?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither are bad ideas - my 5 series had a water/coolant gearbox cooler so presumably that box was happy at about 88C. I dont know what the ideal temp for the R380 is - any ideas anyone??

 

I will change the oil more frequently - current use, every 10,000 miles is every 5 months!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cow on the line with the cooler take off on the stumpy 380 is the seat box has to be adjusted to allow the adapter and pipes to fit... I have a housing with a thermostat here Richard, and yes, it's another project on my growing list to make something so I don't have to cut my seatbox on my 110.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 10:30 AM, toenden said:

Could the non thermostat approach not work nicely combined with a water to oil heatexchanger? That way your gearboxoil would always be sort of the right temp?

/mads    

Good idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 10:56 AM, Gazzar said:

Or, don't fit one, and change the oil every year, 10,000 miles if driven south of the channel?

 

That deals with fluid degradation, but not the operating viscosity, which is why the crunch gears on change up to second when warm if you’re a bit swift on the lever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 4:14 AM, vulcan bomber said:

The cow on the line with the cooler take off on the stumpy 380 is the seat box has to be adjusted to allow the adapter and pipes to fit... I have a housing with a thermostat here Richard, and yes, it's another project on my growing list to make something so I don't have to cut my seatbox on my 110.

You have the LR unit spare?  How much silver would I need to persuade you to part with it? 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy