RRC sensor taken from drivers side headlight panel - what is it?

MikeD

Dismantling an RRC and have a small sensor that came off the drivers side headlight panel and no idea what it is for

It is connected on two wire, one of which is Red/Slate, anyone recognise it?

IMG_20190701_183539414.thumb.jpg.6942e922dacc96a1c5bc48f996f70251.jpg

I forgot to say this was a 92 Vogue EFI with AC and this didn't have any form of temperature readout on the dash

it looks like it could be a temp sender but it only measures 0.3 to 0.4 ohms at room temperature. it does measure the same in both polarities and I guess it may change with temperature

I am not expecting it to have any value but was more curious to find out what it might be

I spent a long time looking for online evidence of what it might be and even spent time looking at wiring diagrams to see if I could spot Red/Slate wire colours

Mine  was a 90 Vogue but with no AC - I thought it might be something to do with the injector inputs (although thinking about it they would just get that from the MAF sensor I would have thought?)

Is there an ice warning on the dash - could it be for that?

it must be oem as the wires from the plug go into the main car loom in the engine bay, not easy to trace once it is in there. I may find where that colour comes out

i'm sure I will find out what it is for when I cannot get something working on the engine 😀

I pulled one off my old D reg 200Tdi RRC when I broke it up , I'm pretty sure it's an ice alert sensor ? Mine had AC too for info. It's still around somewhere in one of the odds and ends drawers in the tool box , whenever I see it I always think " must take that indoors and put it in the freezer to see what it reads " then forget about it 'til the next time...

cheers

Steve  b

Just found one for sale on ebay as a

Range Rover Classic RRC Heated Windshield Washer Temperature Sensor Switch

but I didn't have a heated windscreen and the sensor isn't anywhere near the washer

maybe it is supposed to switch the squirter off if the temperature goes below freezing

just chucked it in the freezer, probably find it in my dinner next week 😂

21 hours ago, MikeD said:

... Heated Windshield Washer Temperature Sensor Switch...  ...but I didn't have a heated windscreen and the sensor isn't anywhere near the washer..

What walace58 said, read heated washer, rather than heated windscreen.

I've often wondered how the car knew when to heat the washers. Also the how a RRC knows to activate the heated door locks I found in mine, albeit not connected. Intended for Scandinavian climes I believe.

@teabag, looks similar but this is from a classic rather than a P38 so not a BTR9733

If it is a switch to turn the heated washers on then it must be broken because it was 0.3 ohms after being in the freezer for 24 hours and 0.3 ohms several hours later when it had got up to 26.6 room temperature

@teabag - spot on, well done

now I know what it is I found an old thread on here where the identical part had been discussed in 2007! https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/14516-can-you-identify-this-component/

shame that after all this it appears to be faulty but it exercised the grey cells for a while and at least I know this won't be why the engine doesn't restart when I eventually get around to connecting it to fuel and volts 😁

thank you to everyone who participated

• 2 years later...
On 4/5/2022 at 11:15 AM, Si J said:

I know it’s a long shot

Correct, Pretty sure I threw it as my freezer experiment suggested it didn't work

I was getting rid of the accumulated tat making space for more tat 😀, sorry!