OT: Why is this bolt made of unweldium?

On 7/2/2019 at 8:19 AM, daveturnbull said:

Not a job I really wanted to do in the first place, and managed to shear a bellhousing bolt getting it out.

DSC_1461.thumb.JPG.b0ceb6a6497f3f3970bff3180bba5ebd.JPGDSC_1462.thumb.JPG.0428c68ab8e6d9c27f7f2a8d2cc2e770.JPG

I tried 4 times to weld a nut to the end of it to get it out. Not one of them really took, even with the bolt end filed clean and the welder cranked up to super-melty.

FB_IMG_1562051473538.thumb.jpg.f9531ae03c3590102c1ca11a95c5e386.jpg

^^ That's the inside bit that was briefly and lightly stuck to the bolt.

For some reason it just didn't penetrate at all. I can only think the bolt must be made of some kind of unweldable steel alloy. It's 2006 volvo (ford) vintage so probably made from the cheapest cow poo they could get away with.

TBH, if its tight, then plug welding a nut on the end rarely does the job ..................

A better solution that has always worked for me is to weld a bolt onto the end of the broken piece, this also has the effect of putting plenty of heat in the 'stud' and it will cause the ali bellhousing to expand a little and slacken its grip ............

20 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

I think you'll be fine with 7, my Suzuki only had 3 :wacko:

I once spent a day off roading at a pay & play with a friend in his SJ which only had one bolt holding the transfer case on. Quite how the lever didn't beat it's way though the tunnel (it was trying) or worse I'll never know.