ABS problem

LN237

I have a 97 discovery 1 (300tdi) es spec. 

My ABS light, has recently decided it's wanting to stay on most of the time. The only time it's not on is just after starting the engine, when it's not on and I press the brake pedal the vehicle won't stop, it's like the abs is kicking in, or something the brakes just completely fail, like they did this afternoon. It doesn't matter if I'm on wet or dry roads. 

I've also noticed, more recently the brakes only work properly, when the ABS light stays on permanently. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, your first step is to get the fault codes by bridging two terminals on the diagnostic socket and recording the number of flashes that the system delivers. If you google "abs  fault codes discovery 1" you'll find some explicit instructions on the process. Do it a few times to make sure that you record the right codes - (and it aint particularly easy to decipher it all) and then look up the fault code. Just be aware though that once you clear some faults others may then make an appearance.

Your comment about brakes completely failing is worrying though (abs problems don't normally cause that) and it may be that you have another unrelated brake problem that also needs diagnosing. Btw the normal startup sequence is that abs light comes on with ignition and engine start, and then goes off once moving at more than 5mph. 

Do some digging around and come back for more specifics, good luck

Do also check your wheel bearings and CV joints on the front.

The reason that once the ABS light is on solid is that it has failed so much that it has disabled the ABS entirely, and you are relying on your foot to modulate the brake pressure,just like in an old car :)