Defender pulling under braking

Hi everyone,

yet another issue cropped up on my Puma, only noticeable at highway speeds (>80kmh): when I brake, the car dives to the left.

Even if I hold the steering wheel straight, the car still does this.

What could be causing this?

Thanks

On my 90 pulling has been down to rear discs being rusted up and not braking evenly - this has happened twice before.

It can be a number of things on Defenders, whatever you do try be systematic as you might not get the problem first off, start off with the easy cheap jobs... 

Check your tyre pressures - being  a few pounds down on one corner can cause all sorts of strange issues.

Then check the discs/pads/pistons.

I once had a strange 'pulling' issue on a Series LR which turned out to be most of the oil in one of the front dampers having gone-missing.

On 7/10/2019 at 7:08 AM, neil110 said:

possible siezed pistons in one brake caliper

Even slightly sticky is enough to make them pull.  Easy enough to check by taking the wheel off and using a bit of flat steel to see if you can move the pads in smoothly.  Obviously the side it pulls towards is the good side - check the other side, back and front.  Remember to prod the brakes a few times afterwards before using them at speed!

initial feedback from the workshop is that there's nothing wrong with the calipers nor the braking system.

As someone else said, it could be something else in the suspension which is causing this, so they're checking other things tomorrow.

It wont be this on yours, but my 110 was doing similar, I adjusted the rear drums at the weekend and it brakes straight now. I think one was coming on marginally sooner than the other and unbalanced things - that bit could happen with a caliper too if one was jamming. Sounds like you have ruled that out though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the landy back: they fitted Terrafirma Medium coils in front to match the rear, and wheel alignment was done (it was way out).

They checked the braking system on rollers - all wheels are getting the same amount of braking +-5%. I'm told this is not enough to notice, and the spec goes +-30%.

It drives better, but there's still a hint of pulling under hard braking - I doubt anyone else will notice it though.

I think it's time to find another indie...

Edited by Naks

I would hope your garage would have spotted any oil on the disc from a leaking hub seal?

I would question the statement “all wheels are getting the same amount of braking “ did they mean side to side per axle? Front wheels should see a much greater braking effect- 4 pot callipers versus 2 pot on the back.

If there is no side to side discrepancy then you should look at axle location. Don’t see why they would change the springs.

Yes, no leaks anywhere, and the brake fluid level hasn't changed.

Yes, the braking force is on each axle, i.e., the front wheels get the same, and the back wheels get the same.

The springs were meant to be changed anyway, since we fitted Terrafirma Heavy in the rear, they just didnt have stock of the fronts 2 weeks a go.

Have they checked the suspension properly? I had a weird rear axle steering effect (not always under braking but braking has improved in terms of how straight it brakes since changing it) - changing the rear a fram ball joint and bushes solved it - the ball joint had a lot of play (was probably original - so at 255,000 miles it was probably worn!)

Ok, went to see a new indie today whom a lot of our club members have recommended.

Car was on the lift, and we did a full inspection - a number of things he wasn't happy with, including the rear propshaft not being bolted on tightly enough, some bushes not the correct spec, etc.

He also bled the brakes and we went for a drive - problem sorted!

He's keeping the car for a few days to systematically work through the ongoing drivetrain vibration issue.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys, 

I'm trying to work out the height of my driver's side springs wrt the OEM ones, but I'm seeing some weird numbers. 

I jacked up the car and measured the front springs, which are supposed to be 395mm (Old Man Emu 760). 

But I measured them to be 340mm +-5mm. 

When I look at http://red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html, the standard spring for a 90 Puma (REB500200 / 9446) is supposed to be 15.19in/385mm. 

Other than the extra Frontrunner bullbar, there's no other weight on the car. 

Surely my OME spring can't have sagged by a whopping 55mm in 9 years!??? 

Edited by Naks

• 1 month later...

Issue was resolved by Auto Excellence: they found the front left bearing to be a bit loose and added a shim to tighten things up - it now drives very well and brakes in a straight line! 

• Like 1