Gerber stylee multitool - recommendations?

Not exactly a usual LR style tool... (ie not a 'big ommer' :D ) but I am looking for recommendations/comments on multitools like this:

tool.JPG.893c85d344d1a51c7caca86d1e0f82fe.JPG

I have been wanting one for a while but every time I look at them I am simply confused by the huge variety of make, type, functionality and cost and I usually give up in despair... Then it occurred to me that I could ask for suggestions here! 

• have you got one?
  • Is it any good?
  • Which make/model would you recommend (if any) and which to avoid?

It will be a birthday present to me, so I am in the fortunate position of not being too worried by cost, but I am thinking less than £100 (unless there is a truly exceptional one that breaks that limit)

Thanks in advance

Roger

I disagree, that is at the core of a land rover owner. Cargo trousers held up with braces, a t-shirt making your allegiance to the brand and your disdain for every other known brand clear, laced ankle boots topped with an oilskin hat and a multitool on the belt for running repairs, cooking and male grooming.

• Haha 2

I have a Victorinox which I wore for years until the much repaired leather pouch finally gave out, now I just keep a small pocket knife on me. I have sort of replaced it though as there are now 3 sets of the small vise grips in the centre console and tool boxes. After years of carrying it though I would say that most of it is 'features' were dead weight really, the plier and wire cutter, knife and maybe the screwdriver got used,.... I would look at the locking style plier type though I think, if I were going there again. HTSH

I'm a bit of a Gerber man, I've got various muti-tools from them at least one in each vehicle, what attracted me about Gerber is the tungsten carbide cutter inserts on some of there models as well as the ability to swap out the tools if they get damaged, they also have excellent warranty replacement service which I have used. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maverik said:

what attracted me about Gerber is the tungsten carbide cutter inserts

I seem to be hooked on that too... Wire cutting appears to be a weak point on any that I have seen up to now

I have a Leatherman Rebar that I have owned for several years.

It seems solid enough, and is still in excellent condition.

If I had to pick fault with it, my only gripe would be that the handles are "inside out" while using the pliers, so can dig into your hand somewhat when squeezing hard.

I've always made do with an older version of a Leatherman Skeletool CX. Has just the bare minimum of tools but therefore is smaller that you don't notice it in your pocket. I got it predominantly because it had the karabina (which is also a bottle opener) so that I could clip it onto my climbing harness.

To be fair I'm on my second version - I snapped the previous one in half. To be fair I was using it (combined with a rock) as a hammer to build a small rabbit clay pigeon trap at a local gun club :ph34r:. Dropped it in at a friend's gunshop - he phoned Leatherman and they said bung it in the post so we can have a look at it. The following day there was a new one in the post before the postie had picked up the old one. They just wanted the old for analysis.

I'm using a Leatherman Surge for over 10 years now (second one, because I lost the first...). As good as the black one looks, I wouldn't buy it because with use the paint will wear off. A big advantage compared to many other multitools (including the one in the first post) is you can use both knives without opening the tool. There located on the outside, with a grip so you can unfold them one-handed.

Filip

1 hour ago, Escape said:

A big advantage compared to many other multitools (including the one in the first post) is you can use both knives without opening the tool. There located on the outside, with a grip so you can unfold them one-handed.

That's one of the things I like about my Gerber, you can push most of the blades etc out one handed.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got one of the first of the Leatherman tools - subsequently called the PST - & carry & use it on a daily basis. I bought it at Bisley IIRC in the mid-80s. Now in its third pouch as the first two wore out.

The screwdriver bits aren't slot in on this so it's a case of using a bit of sense as to what you try & do.

I gave each of my sons a Leatherman Wave as one of their 21st presents.

I suggest you get a tool that has the replaceable screwdriver bits & replaceable wire cutter blades would also be a good idea. 

Bear in mind the bigger the tool the heavier it's going to be on your belt & if it has locking blades bear in mind UK law so be careful where you carry one.

9 minutes ago, paintman said:

if it has locking blades bear in mind UK law so be careful where you carry one.

Not just the UK, I had some Swedish friends a few years ago that were absolutely shocked and appalled that I was carrying a knife with locking blade... just my Leatherman Surge.

Leatherman for me, i had a black PST ( which i still have ) and the wife bought me a newer one a few years ago, a Rebar in black.

Solid tools and i wouldn't be without them.  I like the slimness of the PST and Rebar...i feel the bulky all singing and dancing ones are abit of a posing item rather than practical.

Out of the leatherman's I would second Ed's vote for the skeletool, it has everything you need and it's a nice size. I used to work in a shop that sold leatheman's and the warranty is pretty quibble free. We had a customer bring their third skeletool back with a broken blade and they replaced them all. (It was quite obvious the blade had been used to pry something open.)

Personally I usually carry small cheap pocket tools at work like the one below. It's no good if it's not in your pocket and the plier type tools are just a little bit big for me. I had a nice little knife a while back which was tiny but the blade was quite thick so it could be ground it into the shape of a screwdriver. The leatherman squirt ps4 is nice but it's too expensive to lose. 

Untitled.png.81bb473a6cb46e4a7da387db6c0eed34.png

• 4 weeks later...

Not exactly a multitool but I never leave the house without my opinel No.7, had it about 9 years now and its around half worn, for the money they are unbeatable IMHO it gets used everyday even if its just cleaning my nails.

Leatherman honour their warranty - even after 23 years

I wore out the old pliers on my Supertool, bought in 1995. Rang up, was sent a form via email, filled it in and sent it back with said Super tool - week later Brand Spankers New Super-tool 300 in the post.

Gerber are an utter pain to get anything out of

Edited by Nonimouse
  • Like 2