Considering a new purchase

paime

I've seen this S3 which is for sale near me and i'm sorely tempted. Not sure what the chassis is like and it's missing a quarter window but she looks great fun. Apparently it has a Perkins diesel engine. I'm relatively new to Series' Landies but does anyone have any thoughts on it? Any screamingly obvious red flags i'm missing other than the rusty bulkhead? Am i wasting my time?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/land-rover/land-rover-series-3-1978-mot-tax-exempt-/1345920211

Edited by paime

It could be a montego prima Perkins. Not a bad option.

Check usual stuff: paperwork, chassis numbers, etc etc.

Series stuff: Door tops, chassis rot, how bad are the leaks, clunk in the drive

It's an old series, it could be great, but is probably worn out.

Looks fairly tidy from the outside. Does look like a Prima, which is a 2.0td. I hated my Prima with a passion, but some people seem to like them. With Rover group collapsing and Perkins no longer supporting it, major bits were not that easy to get hold of a few years ago.

2 hours ago, Gazzar said:

And, unless automotive, s l o w.

And heavy.

But good.

Slow?

My 4236 turbo conversion would almost do 60MPH (4 speed range rover box + overdrive)

Pulled like a train though, did not really need the gears.

I had a 4236 (NA) in a Range Rover, 4 speed box, overdrive & high ratio transfer gear, it could do 70 easily if your ears could stand it.  Would pull away in top (only tried it once to see if it would!) 

I wouldn't like to put a 4236 in a SWB Series much too much torque for the transmission and excessive weight.  The 4203 I had in my SIIa was a tight enough fit but suited the vehicle.  I had 3.9:1 diffs in the axles and an overdrive fitted.  The bloke I sold it to reckoned he got over 70 mph, but I doubt it myself.

Yep, slow, the old Perkins from the 70s are slow revving engines. Solid. Reliable. Frugal. Awesome torque. But noisy and slow, compared to the petrols and the the TDI engines ( except the noisy bit).

To be honest I know very little about the prima. 

Compared to the standard engines  and the common upgrades like the TDI 200, knowledge is less available. 

And parts support may not be great, but the consumables should be fine, fuel system should be fine, as I think it's a Bosch system.

It may impact on historic MOT exemption, but you'd be doing an MOT every year anyway, for your own peace of mind, so that doesn't matter.