Jump to content
Stellaghost

Treasure from the scrap man

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Local scrap man contacted me to see if I wanted this

20190713_121602.jpg

20190713_121548.jpg

20190713_121529.jpg

No use for it really but couldn't  turn it down for £30 needs a wee bit of welding and general clean up also some lights 

Edited by Stellaghost
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£30..... Wow, very nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucky man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So started the clean up of sankey

20190716_095251.jpg

Needle gun revealing the extent of tin worm damage

20190716_130150.jpg

20190716_130205.jpg

So started cutting out and welding in

20190716_132834.jpg

20190716_143826.jpg

20190716_153128.jpg

Some bright spark covered the outside paint with a thin coating of underseal which the flap wheel does not like so burning torch and scraper taking ages  on a high note chassis is solid  regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knotted wire wheel in a grinder will blast that off!

Looking very good, they are made of decent thickness steel, so no too bad to weld up :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£30? That's seriously good-value.

I've never been a fan of the standard Sankey: it's stupid-heavy for its designated payload, and has a nastily high centre-of-gravity. Someone I knew had one where they rebuilt the tub using aluminium sheet and angle (which sliced 175 pounds off the unladen weight) and fitted it with 15-inch wheels/245-50 tyres to get the centre-of-gravity down. The result was much more Autobahn-towing-friendly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought so too I've never wanted one before but it was too good an opportunity to let go there's a few bits non standard but I'm not complaining it may get restored with aĺl it's add ons if I come across them in the future one thing for sure its never gonna be on an autobahn be lucky if it hits a motorway  Regards Stephen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's what I did to mine. Turned it into quite a useful bit of kit. 

The brake linkage pivot in the axle always seizes up, so worth a look at that. And think about replacing the shocks; they seem to almost always be knackered. Think I've got 88" front shocks on mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I had checked your thread out after I got the trailer, cracking bit of kit but I already have a flat bed /car transporter trailer so in the process of repairing the steel tub then it can stand next to the garage to put all my off cuts and scrap in to get weighed in once full. You're right about the brake linkage its solid will need a bit of heat to dismantle and refurb shockers are ok if a tad rusty but will most likely replace as they are pennies to buy regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't remember if it's in the thread, but I used to top nut on the stuck pivot to pull it free with use of a few spacers and washers. Check the brake expanders too, they might need freeing up. 

The tailgate is a nice mod, makes it decidedly more useful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bowie69 much thanks for the wire wheel advice way better than standard wire wheel no more scraping ta very much regards Stephen

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Proper job! Those pieces of pipe on the drain holes to stop water running along underneath the plate are a great idea. 

My second sankey is currently in service as a paddling pool with some polystyrene on the floor and a pond liner clipped inside. Also a hot tub with the addition of an Eberspacher. Got used as a semi mobile work platform for hedge trimming the other week too. The uses are endless :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking very good !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Started refurbing the springs

20190805_144438.jpgseparated them first

20190805_154759.jpgcleaned them up

20190805_155201.jpgundercoated

20190805_201820.jpgpainted

20190808_145803.jpgand finally back together regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost
Additional stuff
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you assembled those 'dry', without any lubricant between the leaves?

Regards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy