Front propshaft D2

John H67

Hi Folks. About to assemble stripped and cleaned parts for double cardan joint. Central spherical bearing now in  

Can anyone please advise best sequence for successful rebuild?

I can’t decide if I should have two sub assemblies.

One starting with main shaft, UJ cross, and short cardan shaft. And another being flange and UJ cross.  Then bring these sub assemblies together complete with spherical bit. 

Or, should short cardan shaft be part of flange sub assembly?

Or, am I completely wrong?

The annoying thing is that I successfully rebuilt one 15 months ago without trouble, BUT I cannot remember the winning sequence (a bit like the lottery!)

Guidance please 🙏

Further to my earlier post/request for guidance. I have given the problem more thought and discussed it with my son, resulting in a successful rebuild. The propshaft is now reinstalled and working fine. So I’ll not take up any more of your time. 

There are some interesting topics discussed on the forum - please keep them coming. 

Jnh

Hi John

I’ve not had a double-cardan jointed shaft, but would like to fit one to sort out some issues on my 109.  Long term reparability and cost is a concern for me, though, as I had thought them irreparable once worn.  Could you post up any pictures and description of what you have done, especially the centre bearing?  It sounds like my concerns may be ill founded.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to fit one to my 200tdi as I was having the strange vibes at 62mph. Chatting to a particularly good independent land rover garage owner and he question why I would bother...

He suggested I shift the centre spline alignment 1 spline either way and see what happened. One spline to the left and vibes gone. Cheap fix

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:03 AM, Nonimouse said:

I was going to fit one to my 200tdi as I was having the strange vibes at 62mph. Chatting to a particularly good independent land rover garage owner and he question why I would bother...

He suggested I shift the centre spline alignment 1 spline either way and see what happened. One spline to the left and vibes gone. Cheap fix

Cheap fix but very time consuming if the shift doesn't work.

if it were the stock front driveshaft, I'd replace it.

Edited by JUKE179r

• 2 weeks later...

Cheap easy fix, undo four bolts, mark the sliding joint, remove, relocate, do up four bolts

Or buy a DC prop/Rebuild one, change the out put flange to a TD5 unit, fit the prop

Nick, I've a spare, rebuilt DC prop if you want it

• 2 weeks later...