Defender - Cracked roof fixing point front corner

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

It’s the type the Camel Trophy used.

Worth noting the Camels had VERY full roll cages too, so the roof is taking zero load and the roof rack can be used for recovery (I've seen it demonstrated!)

One thing I found is the amount of flex in the body on rough roads is astounding if you look - of course the LR body is not a very strong or rigid structure and I suspect driving around with a RTT on could easily lead to fatigue cracks after a while.

8 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Worth noting the Camels had VERY full roll cages too, so the roof is taking zero load and the roof rack can be used for recovery (I've seen it demonstrated!)

One thing I found is the amount of flex in the body on rough roads is astounding if you look - of course the LR body is not a very strong or rigid structure and I suspect driving around with a RTT on could easily lead to fatigue cracks after a while.

It is the ammount of flex that is stopped by the roof rack that is the problem especially with the 110. Even the short rack on my Defender allowed the rivit to pull.

I have only seen the driver side rivit pull, has anybody seen the other side pull

57 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Very good point about their roll cages.  And yes, even the SII/SIII body flexes, and is much thicker and has more bracing than the late Defenders.

• 1 year later...

I'm just back from a long Iceland trip with a lot of miles on "bad" highland roads. I have a Hannibal roof rack with full length gutter bars, which I simply cut between the legs before my departure, so it kept the body less from flexing. 

Seems to have worked. Despite having driven considerably more than the previous trips with the same load, everything held up nicely. (Not mentioning the driver's door hinges and rear upper shock mount wearing out 🙄)

J

Edited by Vogler
  • Like 2