The P38 bites again

Simon_CSK

Getting this car back on the road has/is a nightmare but am getting close to the end.

Today when I fired it up oil was litterally pouring out of the front of the engine. Given the location I suspect the front cover on the crank case. I am told this is an easy fix and just need really to remove the bottom pulley. Does anyone know what the part number or description of the seal is please?

Got a new seal and it didn't change a thing. However I did need to take the seal out after I had fitted it so is it possible that I have damaged the new seal? The oil litterally flows out the end of the crank shaft. To make sure that was where the leak was coming from I started the engine with the bottom pulley removed.

Was surprised how easy the job to change the seal was. 

Doesn't the seal need the pulley to seal on?

Another possible suspect is (I think?) the little pressure relief valve that sits just above the oil filter housing. The o-rings on that part can go bad and tiddle oil all over the front end.

What Ben says, the front seal sits on the pulley, so you need that in place.

And the oil rings are a known point of failure. You can just reach it through the right wheel arch. You'll need straight circlips pliers and possible a hammer to coerce the piston and spring out. If all else fails, have someone start the engine while you hold a rag over the valve, it will fly right out. The oil ring is not available through LR, but easy enough to find. It's a 19x1.5mm.

Good luck!

Filip

Yes the pulley was back on but the oil is still coming out of the front. Not as bad as before.

The oil is a steady flow and certainly looks like it is coming from the front pulley however any photos of the oil rings would be appreciated.