Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have a 1999 V8 110 Station Wagon (factory built with V8 for export order) which I have owned since 2010. Back in 2013 when I was ordering up various brake spares from the UK I included a servo in the order to have on hand if the need arose. The supplier, MM 4x4, supplied an Allmakes unit, part number LR013488. This week I needed to strip out both pedal boxes to sort out a problem with the clutch pedal, basically lack of lubrication. Having the brake pedal assembly out I decided to swap out the servo to be on the safe side considering the age of the vehicle and I am fairly confident that the unit fitted is the original. On comparing the two units I noticed that the Allmakes unit is noticeably thicker, I would say by about 20-25mm. All the other features, mounting bolts,etc., were identical. I proceeded to fit the unit and found that while it operates the pedal travel has increased significantly ending up about an inch from the floor when really pressed firmly. To my mind it seems as though the extra thickness of the new servo has not been compensated by an increase in the pushrod length resulting in increased pedal travel.

Has anyone come across this problem before or I am I missing something really obvious?

Link to post
Share on other sites

There were some really poor pattern late servos sold around that time. Check to see if the mounting studs for the master cylinder pass through the inside of the servo to brace it. The poor quality ones did not have the studs passing through the servo, the studs were just attached to the outer face so that when the brake was applied with force the servo flexed and distorted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you undo the master cylinder and gently move it out the way, can you see if it's possible to adjust the rod (don't know the right word) on the servo that contacts with the plunger in the master cylinder. Many of them, I think, have a little nut arrangement on the end to adjust relative distance between the two components - it can be quite stiff, which is a good thing! If possible, a few turns to lengthen the rod might be all you need :)

Buena suerte

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, oneandtwo said:

There were some really poor pattern late servos sold around that time. Check to see if the mounting studs for the master cylinder pass through the inside of the servo to brace it. The poor quality ones did not have the studs passing through the servo, the studs were just attached to the outer face so that when the brake was applied with force the servo flexed and distorted.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely check on the studs when I get stuck into it again next week.

Cheers,

Del

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Giles said:

If you undo the master cylinder and gently move it out the way, can you see if it's possible to adjust the rod (don't know the right word) on the servo that contacts with the plunger in the master cylinder. Many of them, I think, have a little nut arrangement on the end to adjust relative distance between the two components - it can be quite stiff, which is a good thing! If possible, a few turns to lengthen the rod might be all you need :)

Buena suerte

I have just done a search of the site and came across a post detailing how someone else had done exactly what you have suggested on a Discovery. The only difference being that in their case the problem had been caused by a change of master cylinder. I am taking the weekend off and will get stuck into it again next week and see what I can do. I checked the difference in face to face dimensions today and found that the original measured 87mm and the Allmakes unit 92mm. My plan at the moment is pull the Allmakes servo off completely together with the pedal box before attempting to make any adjustment. Then I will measure the distance from the front face of the old unit to the pushrod and then attempt to adjust the Allmakes unit to be the same. I will let you know how I get on!!!

Cheers,

Del

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news and bad news! As suggested by Giles, I was able to adjust the actuating rod fairly easily to replicate the original. However when I checked out the master cylinder mounting studs I found that they did not pass through to the back of the unit as oneandtwo suggested might be the case. Therefore rather than proceed I have decided to order a TRW unit from the UK. The truck is not my daily driver and I have no trips planned at the moment so it will not seriously put me out to wait a couple of weeks to get the replacement out here.

Chers,

Del

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy