French MOT (CT) failed pollution test

xychix

please don't tell me there's no need to go the extra mile 🤪

got everything I'm familiar with out of the way. All of this I've touched before (apart from radiotor but as the front already had lost 3 out of 4 bolts it was easy removed as a complete unit.

image.thumb.png.e1e2304d98a7216408598f82021b8a36.png

Edited by xychix

In and outlet manifold and diesel pipes got off VERY easy. doubt if any of those was tighter than 30nm...

Question, is the butterfly valve in the inlet soly for brake vacuum or does it serve any other purpose? 

• 2 weeks later...

told u all this was going to be slow! if you want to follow what I do I bet you even have time to buy a series and still keep up ;)

removed rocker cover, there appears to be 1 bolt missing! can I replace this with any bolt with matching thread?
Or is this a part-number I can order? (it wasn't to be found under the cover...)

imageproxy.php?img=&key=394b341611c23a49Window_and_IMG_20200402_173431859_jpg.jpg.75b6df02121db24a106c11e5dbd2a88f.jpg

rocker cover was hand tight! really hand tight as in I did NOT need any tools to remove them... 🤪

Edited by xychix

Part no. 525390 from my 2a parts book but it looks the same part through to 90/110 era  . It is special with a pin to locate in the rocker shaft .

Have a look in the sump , it's possible its found it's way there and check in each pushrod hole too

cheers

Steve  b

From memory, the rocker shaft has to be 'located' (held in one place) so the oil feed holes can line up. This enables the oil to flow inside the shaft to each rocker central bearing, and also to the rocker tips. Running with the shaft misaligned means no appropriate oil flow, and a significantly high wear rate.

Regards.

I didn't realise the rockers for different cylinders were different! Sorry. Just noticed on the parts book.

Does this help? I wonder how much oil was being lost out that hole?

Screenshot_2020-04-02-20-58-23-294_com.microsoft.skydrive.thumb.jpg.53e632cddd861232fc945c59ef730faa.jpg

if the rockerchaft is 1 piece of 2 pieces still aligned it should be fine as positioning goes, more to the left the other bolt is still in place holding the shaft.
Thanks for the screenshot! will order a new one (or atleast put it on the order list ;) ) 

I agree, one special bolt will hold it.

I'm concerned that the oil will escape out where the missing bolt should have been fitted.

That will drop your oil pressure.

I'd have a look at your cam shaft, if you are willing to get deeper into the engine.

There are inspection plates.

A question on the fuel-pump. Is 1 turn on the bottom shaft of the pump also a full turn in the pump? (all 4 cyliners) 

Meaning, would it matter how often the bottom shaft is turned before the fuel pump would be placed back on the block?

It will only fit in 1 position due to a notch in the shaft.

I was talking about the big main pump that is connected to the injectors.
Had it off, cleaned it and loosly placed it back on not to loos any parts.

Only thing I'm not sure about if my injection order would be messed up if the input shaft has rotated 360 degreed while cleaning.

Edited by xychix

9 minutes ago, steve b said:

No , it's one turn of the Injector pump for two turns of the crank - same as a petrol distributor and as you say it has a master spline in the drive gear so it will only go in one place

cheers

Steve b

Thanks! coulnd't find any details on this in the manual
Which I unfortunately only have in french (paper) and PDF in english, but oil hands and expensive macbook aren't friends.

Edited by xychix

Slowly cleaning the engine area and finding more and more oily gunk.
Taking the fly wheel inspection latch of I found the inside covered in a thick layer of oil.... 😕 

In doubt now if I should try and get the complete engine out..😮😮.. this way I'll not be able to find the timing mark right?

Sofar I've only found 2 bolts that will snap when I would be persistent on removing them. 1 is in the thermostat housing, the other is the 3rd bolt (the one that comes from the firewall side) of the dynamo mount.

IMG_20200405_110125452.thumb.jpg.6535fe323a26f0fb857c29665aaa8af4.jpgIMG_20200405_110134638.thumb.jpg.bf0e0eee69e69c1a4404fe1e71e0ae5f.jpgIMG_20200405_114101932.thumb.jpg.d2d0def373f90a15caac1a880c6265e3.jpgIMG_20200405_114115789.thumb.jpg.a9d76befc11d808115ad2b1299a8e2d6.jpg

Edited by xychix

Last question first , yes that bolt goes through to the block , the other 3 (lower right) that go through to the block like lots of anti-seize paste  as water can get down the bolt.

The oil under the flywheel cover plate looks like engine oil , most likely to be the rear main seal  . Removing the engine will not cause any problems as all the timing parts are within the engine , it will make it a whole lot easier to fix all the external oil leaks and of course it needs to come out to do the rear main seal .

cheers

Steve b

also just realise the big nut at the crankshaft has to come off... put it in gear, a socket or Adjustable Wrench on it and a whack with the hammer? (a rough pull didn't help, with car in 4th it just moved backwards a bit.) Only appear to have a 41mm socket (to small) and a 46mm (to big) :(

is it a normal thread (counter clockwise to loosen)? 

and thereafter I'd need a camshaft extrator.... 507231.... hmmm I don't even have a normal pully puller...

Edited by xychix

13 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Ah. eBay?

Unlikely to arrive at my current site in France. Might be able to get my hands on one. 

But as to the procedure.  In gear and a decent whack or shock should loosen it? Or am I missing something there already? 

What size should I buy? will have to try and source something ;)

Edited by xychix

LOL...

https://www.cdiscount.com/le-sport/velos-tandem-tricycle-monocycle-remorque-casque/vtc-3-4-drive-2-5-8-43mm-impact-socket-hot-fo/f-121192303-mp26749848.html#mpos=0|mp

just found one in France 108 euro's....  😕 

and one more affordable on Ebay with expected delivery time 28th off may 🤪

Love my cottage in France  but not due the adoption of modern 'online' markets...

another edit: managed to find a impact socket, heading my way. expecting it at the end of the month. 
I'll already build a shopping list for parts that I expect to need for the timing chain change.
I'd rather first open it alle up and build a list from there but given the weird delivery delays I feel like getting the order out asap. Hope you guys will have a look on the list and be able to mention stuff I might have missed.

Edited by xychix

2.25 petrol/diesel timing chain - OEM
SKU : ETC4499G

2.25 petrol/diesel timing chain camshaft wheel - REPLACEMENT
SKU : ETC5551

2.25 petrol/diesel timing chain crankshaft wheel - REPLACEMENT
SKU : 568333

2.25/2.5D/2.5TD/200TDI front timing cover gasket - REPLACEMENT
SKU : 538039

Crankshaft oil seal front SII/SIII, 2.5 D/TD/200TDI/V8
SKU : ERR6490G

2.25 petrol/diesel damper for timing chain - REPLACEMENT
SKU : 275234

Water pump non viscous 2.25L
SKU : STC3758

2.25 petrol ou diesel cylinder timing chain tensioner - REPLACEMENT
SKU : 277388

As I'm not sure what I'll find and need behind the cover...

what the $%^ is this:Spring for Timing Ratchet 2.25 and 2 Litre Diesel

Spring for Timing Ratchet 2.25 and 2 Litre Diesel
SKU : 267451