Flocking vs. Fabric for Re-Trimming

Good day All,

looking at the grey headlining I bought over 5 years ago now for my rebuild, despite it having been dry-stored and unused, it could do with a refresh before fitting. Having been in a TDCI with all the options boxes ticked (a dangerous thing to have done), I now want a black headlining.

I've looked at Alcantara/suede fabric which would be simple enough to apply with spray adhesive and patience, but in searching for that I have come across some flocking kits that seem to do the same job.

Does anyone have any experience with either method? 

I can see that the fabric will be the more robust solution and last longer, but be heavier so make the headlining more inclined to sag, as we as being harder to get a professional-quality result. However, the flocking will be lighter and easier to apply, but almost certainly shed fibres over time. 

I acknowledge this is on the 'tart's handbag' end of the scale and should be left for forums where people talk about a pair of £350 billet aluminum door handles as though they are discussing fine wine or watches, but I automatically cannot respect their opinions, so it would be pointless to ask them.

Thoughts?

Edited by ThreePointFive

i know someone who flocked his dash in his car and it looked great... for about 6 months. then the flocking started to come away in a powder, giving him bad breathing issues that he couldnt place. he ended up replacing the entire dash...

Edited by qwakers

I re covered a disco headliner and i was quite pleased with the result, you'd be hard pressed to spot it had been done.  Defender headliner is quite a simple shape, I've also added some wood batons to the inner side of a defender one to help stop any sag, again worked really well. 

I’d definitely go with fabric , I recovered the head lining on my 110 and it’s quite easy to do and been up for 3 years and I’m planning on recovering the one on the project 90 but need to repair that first with fibreglass . 

I have had experience with flocking, when I made safes we used to flock the inside of the under floor safes . We painted on the glue then blew the flock on with air and did it in a extraction cupboard , I definitely wouldn’t want it dropping off and floating round with me breathing it in 

• 2 weeks later...