One hub end cap keeps popping off - ideas?

Just back from a little* jaunt around Europe in the ambulance and having (I thought) sorted the problem before leaving, it happened again on the trip and we ended up losing the rubber end cap on the front axle somewhere up an Alp :(

The symptom is pretty much as described here:

But;

• End-cap was a new genuine rubber item, supposedly the most immune to falling off
  • Hub flange seal is OK
  • Rear hub seal is OK
  • Axle breather is NOT blocked (I can blow down it no probs)
  • Problem seemed only to happen after "serious" driving - snaking up & down alpine passes in the sunshine with very hot brakes (hence heat into hub)
  • It's only this hub, the opposite one is fine and has been doing the same amount of work

Now, it's possible there's a little play or wear in the wheel bearing, I haven't had time to jack it up & investigate but I gave it a cursory wobble and it's not hanging off.

My current plan is to do the wheel bearings & seals as a precaution and see what happens, unless someone has a better idea?

*= 2200 miles ish, as you do.

May well be talking out of my arse here but:

Stub axle oil seal fitted back to front?

Perhaps this would allow lubricant to escape from the swivel housing into the hub, but not return, thus creating excess pressure in the hub when things heat up?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, reb78 said:

I seem to remember mmgemini reporting this and linking it to movement of the half shaft in and out?

Yes I did many moons ago. I cured mine by fitting https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/drive-flange-heavy-duty-8393-terrafirma-frc5806a-tf5806-p-5720.html.You'll need to check you order the correct ones tho

42 minutes ago, V8 Freak said:

@FridgeFreezer, Do you have a small action camera you can mount from the wing and then go for a slow drive with lots of turns involved? Would hopefully then see if the end of the CV is moving out on that side....

13 hours ago, dailysleaze said:

Excessive CV joint end float? Should be shimmed up behind the circlip to give 0.08 to 0.25mm IIRC

I'm pretty sure the CV can't move as the correct shim is behind the end circlip and it's as tight as I could make it and still get the clip on.

It was previously missing the shim, so I wonder if the damage has been done to the internal seal(s) by it moving, and as the inner half-shaft moves in & out on cornering it's now managing to pump oil past the seal.

For £15 a hub I might put those fancy flanges on for the time being and see how it goes, although longer term I think the whole front end is due a good coat of looking at - bushes, bearings, seals, etc... mind you, the back end probably is too! :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...

Having a similar issue with my front left hub cap. It puffs up full of air and popps off. Relieving the pressure by prising the cap off and you hear a little pfft, you can actually see the cap is swollen. Diff breather was removed, banjo an all. It was blocked, but cleaning it made no difference. This issue emerged on a vehicle that has done 350k with no prior mechanical changes or explanation. What would cause air pressure in the left frt hub?