Battery swelling , refund/exchange refused?

neilc

My series 3 is up for MOT on Tuesday , I've never done more work to prepare and never been so worried it's going to fail , I had it all looking as good as possible this morning , went to start it ...click , click , click . The battery was new ( internet) at Christmas   ( its the correct battery did a long journey so replaced the old one as a precaution ) , I pulled the battery to charge it and it was seriously swollen on the sides . I still have old battery ( was in there at least the 3 years that I've had it ) put that one in , starts first time . The new battery has a 4 year warranty , I have contacted the seller and he states he won't refund/ replace as either battery over charging ( never happened with old one ) or battery has got cold over winter and become damaged. Any thoughts on this ?, surely I'm not responsible for a battery getting cold in the winter , I must admit that I didn't take it out a nice cup of tea every other day but I didn't know I needed to and also the other one did ok for at least 3 years.

Thanks in advance 

What does the warranty mean - on the paper ?

Did you pay through paypal ?

etc.

Think you'll either have a serious fight or move on..

Bon Courage !

If you're overcharging, the acid level will have dropped and you'll get a sulphurous smell.  Check the alternator voltage (on the good battery) after a few miles, it should be about 13.2 volts.

I've never had battery problems with cars wintering outside, and given the mild winters we've had for the last few years I don't think that's the problem.

I did pay through PayPal , I never actually saw a warranty , however I've still got the battery in my ebay history and the actual photo states 4 year warranty , there is no sulphurous smell and the voltage is good .

Screenshot_20190721-231935.png

Edited by neilc

Cold won't do that to a lead acid battery, at least not in this country, it is either overcharging or shorting out that will warp the plates.

It is possible it is faulty, but if you have a winch it is more likely just a cheap battery that doesn't like running a winch for long periods.

Also possible your alternator is intermittently faulty, or produces a higher volter at higher engine speed - just checking at idle is not enough here.

Try a dispute, but if you've in any way abused it, it is on you.

The previous battery was from RAC , it came with the vehicle ,it wasn't a problem , don't have a winch , I'm a pretend Landy owner who takes it for one big holiday a year I don't off road or use it for work , the previous owner however did have a tree surgeon business and I imagine pushed that previous battery quite hard .

For a cheap no-brand battery off eBay I wouldn't expect much more than this, there's a reason the likes of Bosch / Varta / Yuasa cost more.

Good luck on a refund but I doubt you'll get far as it's impossible to prove it hasn't been abused or over-charged.

I'd dispose of it safely and be glad it didn't explode and/or burn your truck/garage down.

I've just emailed them again , there are 2 little plugs on the side of the battery that you have to remove  when it arrives to stop pressure build up , I removed them when I bought it and taped them to the old battery for safe keeping , when I removed the new one it was spilling acid out of these holes so I put the plugs back in as I put the old battery back . The seller asked me to send photographs of the battery. After sending the photos he has said it's my fault as I didn't remove the plugs , I explained that I did remove them , however put them back in to avoid getting acid all over me and I haven't heard anything since , whole thing sounds like a scam , 4 year warranty seems pointless , they even want me to try and recharge it , a swollen battery that has acid pissing out of it !

Edited by neilc

It looks as if this is going nowhere , they want me to send it back (costly) so that they can check it , PayPal aren't interested because it's been 6 months , same for eBay . It seems these sellers warranties are pointless , what if I send it back and they say it was due to "user error "  then I'm down for the battery and cost of sending it back , I'm 44 years old for heaven's sake , Ive got a 38 year old car , my hand are constantly covered in oil and cuts due to working on the Landy , I know how to fit a battery !.

As Fridge says  , chalk it up to one of those learning curves and be thankful it didn't go bang . A friend bought two 6v MGB batteries from some shark on ebay and one had no volts and wouldn't charge , the other gassed when charged and discharged completely when I load tested it for him .

In the end he bought two branded ones from a local shop , 3 year warranty and no issues since .

The ebay seller claimed mis-use , then too much time elapsed (7 months into the "4yr" warranty) , then ignored any further contact .

The 7 months elapsed as he was finishing work on the car , like we all do ...

I bought a replacement phone battery off ebay that turned out to be solid plastic with two tabs on it , but for £9 plus £3 delivery  it really wasn't worth getting excited about.

cheers

Steve b

This is annoying though , it cost £53 ! PayPal and eBay are useless under these circumstances , anything out of the 180 days purchase period isn't covered so sellers could put 100 years guarantee on an item when really it only needs to last 180 days and they have got away with it .

Is it worth trying Trading Standards and/or The Advertising Standards Authority?  Anything regardless of price has to be fit for purpose and accurately described in adverts.  There's no way a battery like this could be described as "Heavy Duty"

I'll contact them , the other thing that annoys me is that after id told them that it had swollen up they said , "give it a few days and recharge it " if you look on the internet the official guidelines state that it's dangerous to even move it due to the build up of gas so moving it out of the vehicle and plugging it into the mains was dangerous advice . Now they want me to courier it back to them , what courier company are going to take an inflated car battery full of acid !

Edited by neilc

Honestly, £53 for a battery that likely cost £20 just to courier to you (and likely cost similar to get back to them) AND they were making profit on it... I'd just drop it and save yourself throwing good money after bad. You'll get a few quid at the recyclers for it and I reckon that's the best offer you're going to have.

• Like 1

as above, take it on the chin. we had to deal with one on behalf of a customer that got a battery from bristol auto electrical. if you want to do a warrenty claim, they change £30 for "testing". when there cheap batteries they supply dont even cost them that...  discraceful if you ask me.

if you do decide to get a new battery, buy branded and buy local! buy it face to face over the counter from a local motorfactors. as half these internet company warrenties arent worth the paper there written on!

Varta Start-Stop batteries (like this) are a good bet, they're AGM and designed to take a fair bit of abuse, currently using one as the "house" battery in the ambulance.

Also run Varta in the 109, previous one took years of abuse before it died so there's another Varta going back in.

You're unlikely to get one for £50 :P but at least you can believe their warranty.