Defender 110, a Bedford cf and a utility truck walk into a bar...

8 hours ago, Badger110 said:

Any thoughts on the state of the fins in the turbo or would you feel this is normal wear n tear?  There is no play in it, just rough edges 

6E6547CA-3CC9-4E24-8464-98CE1C202AAB.jpeg.1a5b523312402c1d30fdea789c34e67e.jpeg

I'd be inclined to leave it, but you can dress the leading edge GENTLY with a needle file if you really want to.                                                                                                         Even for gas turbines, that sort of wear is considered acceptable with minor dressing up for leading edges.

The idea is to blend out the sharp nicks and make for a gently flowing surface without removing a lot of material which would necessitate re balancing.

Something like this is perfectly acceptable for a gas turbine and would be done in-situ as a part of field maintenance.

Compressor blade repair.

• Thanks 2

Pretty slow today as I had to say goodbye to my best buddy yesterday which came as a shock.  He was only 6 but had some underlying problems with his joints which we knew were going to cause a problem later on in his life but not this soon...tumours which had spread made it impossible for him to lead a normal life and I couldn’t see him suffer. I know this is a Land Rover forum and sorry for going OT, but what the hell, I’m a big softy when it comes to my dogs.

Anyway I have tried to keep busy and my mind occupied have got pretty much the engine done with the clutch fitted82565532-C663-4FA6-B61B-94337FE33382.jpeg.bb9dbcc40a331a2eac65bd1240b7d823.jpeg

i didn’t have a clutch alignment tool but found a 1/2 extension bar and some gaffer tape made an improvisation which looks to have done a great job in keeping it all aligned.

As everything is out of the truck and the gearbox will be fitted on the bench it’ll give me time to make sure it works.

• Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Badger110 said:

Pretty slow today as I had to say goodbye to my best buddy yesterday which came as a shock.  He was only 6 but had some underlying problems with his joints which we knew were going to cause a problem later on in his life but not this soon...tumours which had spread made it impossible for him to lead a normal life and I couldn’t see him suffer. I know this is a Land Rover forum and sorry for going OT, but what the hell, I’m a big softy when it comes to my dogs.

Anyway I have tried to keep busy and my mind occupied have got pretty much the engine done with the clutch fitted82565532-C663-4FA6-B61B-94337FE33382.jpeg.bb9dbcc40a331a2eac65bd1240b7d823.jpeg

i didn’t have a clutch alignment tool but found a 1/2 extension bar and some gaffer tape made an improvisation which looks to have done a great job in keeping it all aligned.

As everything is out of the truck and the gearbox will be fitted on the bench it’ll give me time to make sure it works.

It's more then just Land Rover.  I think a lot of guy's on here share bits of life, during the build..  Sorry for your loss🙂

• Like 1

It's been an absent minded evening to the point I was filling up the engine with oil and getting a wet foot

I'd forgotten to put the drain plug back in :lol:

Still I've got the transmission bolted on :D

I need to make up a rear engine hoist bracket...I did order one but it won't be here until next week, so I've got some 8mm steel sheet on the floor which I can make one up with 

6 hours ago, Badger110 said:

Sorry to hear that Badger. Animals play a huge part in our lives! Never OT, as above we're all friends here and people share all sorts of parts of their lives :)

The oil did make me chuckle :lol: Hope it did you too. 

Thank you both.

It throws up repercussions as we now have Milie ( basset hound ) who has grown up with her big brother ( Hudson was an Old English Sheepdog we rescued from a job I was doing )  and hasn’t lived alone, but dogs do adapt pretty well in the right environment.

Back on topic, wet foot aside, it’s all back together on the bench! Hand brake still has plenty of wear so I’m draining oils ( again! ) on everything this morning and looking to get it in the engine bay tomorrow with the help of some friends.

E3A06A49-8A7E-4504-B32D-F50A4F388FB9.jpeg.ac4aef7758203bd11a79ac6a9b4f0b9a.jpeg

I’m also repairing the hole in the bell housing and strengthening it up abit

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Badger110 said:

It's been an absent minded evening to the point I was filling up the engine with oil and getting a wet foot

I'd forgotten to put the drain plug back in :lol:

Just flushing it, to make sure it's all as clean as it can be...

• Haha 1

There is no need what so ever to be sorry about your feelings for the dogs, horses and all the others that join us in this voyage called life.

Cherish the memories.

Engine looks interesting !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You’d think so but it’s not cured the problem ☹️

I try and go for Elring or genuine but sometimes the kits that come aren’t either but I’m beginning to suspect that the actual unit may be at fault, however it’s an unusual place to get a good look at it. I’ve tried with a camerawork view the issue and after swapping out the gasket I figured I’d sorted it...

I bought the pump from turners along with the other important engine stuff as they use what they sell on their builds so you hope it’s all good.

I’ll take another look tomorrow and maybe introduce a little gasket sealant around the oil holes in the gasket to eliminate that area 

Finally cleared the coolant pump oil leak with a copious amount of gasket sealant and leaving it 24 hours to cure...I did find out that these engines hit about 5-7bar of oil pressure when first started which if there is any minute issue with a gasket etc is going to show .

The front crankshaft seal is weeping still, even after I locked it off, but I’m not stripping it out just yet, I shall monitor it for abit to gauge the need to replace it ( plus I need the truck for work now ) 

I did a few other small jobs whilst going round tightening stuff up etc, one was to fit the news shocks

EE1DAA36-DD68-4125-9069-8ED1D9002B4D.jpeg.f068b5c25e982c2f855bca94ef308cb7.jpeg446BB0B8-064A-4221-AEA9-B8BCEA2B9B78.jpeg.7a6a392f21c55be4038f7cf5798ceddb.jpeg

Inalso bought some GL props some time ago bloody cheap so they went on too

CCA933DA-98E4-4542-ACEE-34B4731B8BC5.jpeg.4f90725b7e505127aae5fcaf127a2cbf.jpeg

I was going to wait until I had done the diffs and driveshafts but i was getting fed up of falling over them in the workshop! 

Off for a nice drive later to test for leaks, squeals and bangs

• Like 1

I replaced the steering bars as the TRE's were looking abit duff and the price of some decent ones wasn't much different than buying new bars as well in a kit.

I coerced the lovely wife to swap the bars over whilst I was shoulders deep in the engine bay last week and after a test drive at the weekend I noticed I had half a turn lock on going right and 2 full spins going left...this proved interesting going round the roundabouts when out for a few test drives!

I figured that when re lining up the front bar and that the steering drop arm had been centralised and not offset slightly which it's meant to be.  Fortunately there is a groove in the back of the steering arm and a hole on the rear of the steering box to make this easier to do.

Now before any of you drop your morning's copy of the Financial Times,  raise an eyebrow, tut quietly, mumble the words ' spacers ' or consider revoking my membership to LR4x4, yes you will see pictures of spacers in the following photos as well as some homemade tracking helpers which allowed me to get an accurate measurement from the chassis.

CC8CCD49-952F-40FD-95BF-F5EF8832F899.thumb.jpeg.79eaa7df668acb69754dd3be15b95408.jpegE78592E9-5AE9-4F94-B8B4-9CA614549705.thumb.jpeg.02f2c3b9ba6bad308e51df75d68ebed3.jpeg

The CV's and all associated bits are being replaced/upgraded in the coming months and well, they make the truck look nice n balanced with the skinnier 7.50's, so I'm being a tad vain here :D

I came back yesterday from a test drive to find the transfer box had dumped a load of oil over the box and chassis...it seems I had omitted the bolt just below the Hi/Low link assembly and it's not a blind hole but is actually open into the box so the oil being sloshed around was coming out the hole...which is a good idea if I'm honest as I genuinely had forgotten to put it in! 

I will get the front of the truck back in the workshop tomorrow as the oil leak from the front crankshaft seal Is bothering me and although it's a pain to have to strip the front off the truck again, I can't live with it dripping.

Other than the few minor niggles including learning how to bleed a clutch, a small coolant leak, the coolant pump oil leak and the transfer box, she's running sweet.

I'm going to sit down later and work out the costs for what was realistically a head remove, recondition and refit with replacing the parts that are recommended by LR ( headbolts, gaskets, cam cradle bolts, exhaust bolts as well as a few others ) 

Gratuitous pic of the new shocks, bars and turrets.  Springs are original.

F2159EFA-1C1B-412E-9F77-0FCA52836854.jpeg

• Like 1