Badger110

Defender 110, a Bedford cf and a utility truck walk into a bar...

The material for the bellows is off to be measured and worked out the best course of action as a suitable replacement.

Personally i would like a breathable modern tent material, however the original was a pvc type with a lining on the inside ( similar to the actual lining on the GRP interior ) but it was on it's last legs.

IF, and it's a big IF, i went along the route of the original pvc for the strength of the joints to the landy roof then i would look at a lining ( originally came with ) to reduce any condensation as well as fitting a shroom vent.

The original material is crudely held in place with aluminium strips sandwiching the material between these and the roof and then screwed into the roof of the vehicle.

I will look at better ways to seal this joint as it's pretty basic, but it did work!

Chap in my village is a Fibre Glass Engineer by trade. He's self employed. I'm only up in Somerset

A little progress today, roof struts and repair patches to the GRP roof inside.

i did fit some gas struts but they didn’t work as planned.

Gas struts don’t lock themselves into a pre defined position either, if I did use them then i’d need to come up with a locking rod of some sort, I dropped the idea and went back to the original spring loaded arms, which after 47 years are still in good working order.

ive created a timber bracket to hold the struts and to take the bunks, I will drop it down to my steel fabricator and get him to fashion replicas out of box section.

D6ECAF34-59FD-47E9-88A6-EBDB6FB7AB36.thumb.jpeg.ee381871cb5ebcc07acbc75b843d9990.jpeg

DD2C54DE-EC43-4BA7-8A97-EB443C623242.thumb.jpeg.b2845aac8ebff20c169a4f6155e31802.jpeg

and my my assistant for today was Millie looking her best....

B55D8F72-F212-4D7C-AEE7-31BCFE097CBD.thumb.jpeg.a33057c53c33325d307ec2ef621ac7ba.jpeg

Love Millie !

Good to see progress

She looks as daft as my dog!

nice progress.