V8 problems

jordan_meakin

Hi all

I'm normally here talking about my series but have an issue with the RRC 3.9 V8 efi. I am posting in the other forum but don't generally get much response and have always received useful advice here.

I've had an issue with my V8 that when it warms up, it stutters when running. If you plod along or floor it, it doesn't do it but under general crusing or gentle acceleration, it stutters, sort of momentarily cutting out until you either let off the throttle or give it some boot. I have cleaned and replaced various bits but the most recent is the distributor ignition module. The new one is a three pin part, the old a two pin. I've wired up and fitted it today and now it's dead! I'm positive the wiring is correct in terms of the diagram they provide but has anyone else experienced this problem?

Is this the 14CUX system or a later Bosch or GEMS?

If it’s 14CUX, the only sensor is MAF, so pull it and clean it. If it’s not that, it’s probably injectors. Do you run an injector cleaner through the tank from time to time?

If it’s GEMS or Bosch, I’m of even less use, but the Throttle Position Sensor and Vehicle Speed Sensor would be candidates, as would gunky or faulty injectors.

So, back up and running today.  It turns out that the Bearmach instructions that come with the part are incorrect! The connector block is labelled 1, 2 and 3.  The instructions say - goes to 1, + goes to 2.  In fact, + goes to 3!  Unfortunately, it hasn't solved the previous problems although, the idle is better by chance almost.

• 2 weeks later...