Where to buy bolts

uninformed

Hi all,

where do you UK guys and girls buy good quality bolts from?? Specifically BSF, BSW. I tried finding BSF socket head cap screws and ended up buying from ebay. They finally got here (Australia) ad not a single marking on any of them (60) and ment to be 12.9... there was clearly 4 different made ones in that batch all the same size.

You have posted in the Series Forum, so I presume that identifies the era of your vehicle.

The safest source (most likely to be the correct size and fitment) is LR Fasteners (http://www.landrover-parts.net/).
You can buy multiple individual items, but do note that they will do sets of fasteners for the whole vehicle, and those who have used them say they are well worth the additional cost involved as they come bagged and labelled. It seems to be a case of the quality being remembered well after the cost has been forgotten.
I believe they may do sets for 'sub-assemblies' (say swivel assemblies, or a rear axle) but you would have to confirm details with the proprietor.
I also understand he is more amenable to phone calls than emails, but given your location that may not be suitable for you.

If you want a wider view of possible suppliers, put part numbers into LR Workshop (https://www.lrworkshop.com/).
You may need to be aware of any updated part number to get full use of this site. While direct searches on LR Series and Craddocks web sites can be the useful in converting from 'obsolete old' to current, do be aware that the translations may take into account easy availability, rather than the direct equivalent.

Regards.

10 hours ago, rtbarton said:

8.8, 12.9 &c refers to metric fasteners.  BSF/Whitworth will be marked R, S & T for high tensile grades.

I am aware of the different grading systems for Metric, British and Unified. I was also under the impression that good quality high tensile socket head cap screws, regardless of thread form, would be 12.9, but maybe thats just Unbrako? 

Im sure all the NOS (new old stock) BSF BSW bolts and screws (for some reason a fully threaded bolt is a screw) are marked with their apropriate letters, but what about new manufactured stuff? Ive seen plenty of 8.8 (Metric) stamped and advertised BSF stuff on ebay. Is that just junk made ?

regardless mine have no markings what so ever.

and since my original question was not answered,where do you buy good quality bolts from?

10 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

You have posted in the Series Forum, so I presume that identifies the era of your vehicle.

The safest source (most likely to be the correct size and fitment) is LR Fasteners (http://www.landrover-parts.net/).
You can buy multiple individual items, but do note that they will do sets of fasteners for the whole vehicle, and those who have used them say they are well worth the additional cost involved as they come bagged and labelled. It seems to be a case of the quality being remembered well after the cost has been forgotten.
I believe they may do sets for 'sub-assemblies' (say swivel assemblies, or a rear axle) but you would have to confirm details with the proprietor.
I also understand he is more amenable to phone calls than emails, but given your location that may not be suitable for you.

If you want a wider view of possible suppliers, put part numbers into LR Workshop (https://www.lrworkshop.com/).
You may need to be aware of any updated part number to get full use of this site. While direct searches on LR Series and Craddocks web sites can be the useful in converting from 'obsolete old' to current, do be aware that the translations may take into account easy availability, rather than the direct equivalent.

Regards.

Thank you, ill check them out.

Ive done more than my fair share of web seaching part numbers from SIII, RRC (early) early 110/90 and stage 1 V8s for bolts, and then looking for thread/length description. I figured the series forum-ites have more experience with BSF BSW as LR continued on with them right to the stage 1 V8, where as even the early RRC axle assemblies didnt use them... except for the two holes in the bottom of the diff nose, that never changed from BSF

But I also do custom stuff that requires British threads but in non standard legths so am looking for a shop that sells known brand/quality

9 hours ago, uninformed said:

... But I also do custom stuff that requires British threads but in non standard legths so am looking for a shop that sells known brand/quality

Based on what I read in the Forum of the Series 2 Club*, those that have the experience tend to cite local stockists they have found but this is mainly UK. As I rarely buy from nut and bolt stockists I haven't paid much attention. There again, I'm clearly not as prolific as you are, when it comes to work output.
Writing this, I recall I have seen Namrick mentioned several times, in a positive vein. I have used them myself in the dim and distant past. They would meet your 'known brand / quality' criteria.

As a side note, if you find on here the facility that enables you to interpret the BL era parts numbering system you can build up quite a table of LR Nuts, Screws, Washers, and Bolts, which of course you can use for 'custom' purposes.

* Series 2 Club Forum.
You don't have to be a member of the club to use the Forum, although there are 'Member only' sections.
There are several Forum users who declare residence in Australia; if you posted your question (including the Custom requirement) you may get a response that reflects related experince from others on the same continent.

Regards.

Many bolt sizes (but not all) are given in the S3 parts book tables at the back.

I wonder what searches for S3 parts manuals will produce.

I've used namrick - good range and service.  There are also bulk suppliers who are much cheaper - but BSF is rare.

There's very little BSW used on Land Rovers - occasional stud into alloy really.

many odd sizes are available from parts suppliers - including BSF - but they are often to original specs - so 5/16 UNF nuts for brake cylinders are unplated.

15 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

Based on what I read in the Forum of the Series 2 Club*, those that have the experience tend to cite local stockists they have found but this is mainly UK. As I rarely buy from nut and bolt stockists I haven't paid much attention. There again, I'm clearly not as prolific as you are, when it comes to work output.
Writing this, I recall I have seen Namrick mentioned several times, in a positive vein. I have used them myself in the dim and distant past. They would meet your 'known brand / quality' criteria.

As a side note, if you find on here the facility that enables you to interpret the BL era parts numbering system you can build up quite a table of LR Nuts, Screws, Washers, and Bolts, which of course you can use for 'custom' purposes.

* Series 2 Club Forum.
You don't have to be a member of the club to use the Forum, although there are 'Member only' sections.
There are several Forum users who declare residence in Australia; if you posted your question (including the Custom requirement) you may get a response that reflects related experince from others on the same continent.

Regards.

Thanks again David,

Ill look up Namrick.

Yes I had seen and used the parts code break down, but many of the fastner P/Ns are just 6 digits, so no break down for them. 

There are a couple of British fastener suppliers in Aus, but their range quite limited, but it seems that is the case for the world lol.