Door Hinges

Morning folks,

My bulkhead refurb is going well and it's almost time to look at the door hinges. The old ones are fairly horrific with rust stains galore but i don't want to spend money on the aluminium ones. I've found these (https://www.lrparts.net/full-front-door-hinge-kit-for-defender-td5-style-heavy-duty-door-hinges-with-stainless-steel-nut-bolts-and-plastic-shims.html) does anyone have any experience of them? Do they require a coat of paint before they go on? 

Cheers

Seems a bit low priced to be of much quality to me, but I haven’t tried them.  

Stainless fixings kits are common enough and it’s nice to do the whole lot.  They usually include all three or five door’s hinges the rear cross member bolts and sometimes the vent flap pins.  There are various grades of stainless, and the cheaper grades still rust, just more slowly.

I would love to have those aluminium hinges but they're just a bit too pricey. I can get mine blasted for free by a mate who works for a fab company and i'm tempted to get him to replace the pins as well but then i'd have to paint them afterwards and my paint skills are less than acceptable. Might be a starting point for me and if it doesn't work then i won't have lost anything.

I think the cheap, wobbly pattern hinges cost about £15 each, so to get four hinges and all the fixings for £35 is very suspicious to me.  They could be perfect - I have no experience of the supplier and don’t know their stock, but the old adage “if something seems too good...” is ringing loudly in my head!

• Like 1

I'd personally just get them blasted and pins replaced if that's a free option. You've got nothing to lose by doing it.

If you can't leave the vehicle without them attached then you could always source another pair and still get yours blasted, serviced and painted.

From what people have said nothing seems to last compared to the "old" Land Rover hinges. From some people I've spoken to my original 1994 hinges have less play in them than vehicles from the end of the production line.

2 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

I'd personally just get them blasted and pins replaced if that's a free option. You've got nothing to lose by doing it.

If you can't leave the vehicle without them attached then you could always source another pair and still get yours blasted, serviced and painted.

From what people have said nothing seems to last compared to the "old" Land Rover hinges. From some people I've spoken to my original 1994 hinges have less play in them than vehicles from the end of the production line.

I was considering doing exactly this. There's not a huge amount of play in my hinges but i was worried that they'd be too far gone to react well to a new pin and i'd end up replacing them anyway. I reckon i could get them blasted and painted for next to bu**er all and new pins would hopefully not cost me much. Worth a shot?

I think so.  If you can get them blasted quickly, great, but a wire wheel in a grinder will do a good job, and brick cleaning acid or even Coke will remove the remaining rust overnight read for reassembly and priming.

It’s a recurring complaint that replacement hinges are sloppier than old worn genuine hinges, and that was my experience with “County” hinges years ago, so new pins in the old bodies is probably the best as well as cheapest option. 

I'm struggling to persuade my associate that he should do my hinges for free so i'm back to square one. I've read a few bits and pieces on here but does anyone have any experience of replacing the hinges? I don't have a press at home, is it a non-starter?

I rebuilt my hinges using an M8 bolt as the pin. They were pretty much scrap as they were so sloppy. 

I drilled through the top and middle parts of the knuckle to 8mm and tapped the bottom part of the knuckle to m8. Cut the head off an M8 bolt and slotted the non-threaded end so i could use a screwdriver to screw it in. 

I had to shim them slightly with nylon washers as there was still some up/down movement but it saved me buying 4 new hinges.

Doors seem to line up ok so I'm happy enough.

Remember when you're removing the pins, they only come out one way!

I got fed up of the whole door hinge chasing so I "invested" in some of these from http://ox4x4.com/our-products/

Full Stainless steel. - I contacted them as I was curious about the company - turned out the owner is another enthusiast that got fed up of a sub standard part and decided to come up with something better, the rough castings are made in china with the finished articles being built up/finished in Sheffield.

Lifetime warranty - I've got one set on my truck and installed a 2nd set of my father in laws. - Had mine on for a few years now and they're still as solid as they where from new.

3 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Isn’t that a sad commentary - a Sheffield business importing stainless steel castings from China...

As born and breed Sheffield'er its quite depressing, but the steel industry has been on its knees in Sheff/uk for a longggggg time now, at least they're still having a hand in something.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 1:03 PM, DC_ said:

Steeped my old hinges in Coke and it appears to have removed the rust that was keeping them tight. They're now flapping around all over the place and are badly pitted in areas so i'm going to buy new.

DC - are these ones zinc plated or do i have to coat them myself?

1 hour ago, paime said:

Steeped my old hinges in Coke and it appears to have removed the rust that was keeping them tight. They're now flapping around all over the place and are badly pitted in areas so i'm going to buy new.

DC - are these ones zinc plated or do i have to coat them myself?

I put them straight on out the wrapper... didn’t have to do a thing to them 😎