200tdi vs TD5 and TDCi

On 8/6/2019 at 9:54 AM, tommobot said:

Quick querry, we currently have a old 'one ten' with a 200tdi and a load of aftermarket sound insulation thrown at it.. 

I love it, its simple and reliable but mrs tommobot hates it...

Steerting to vauge, no 'power' and gearbox as sloppy as anything and far to loud (apparently)

I've only ever driven a 200tdi's and a V8 RRC hybrid.

Is a TD5 era 110, or TDCi comparable to a 'normal' car in anyway shape or form...?

Or... Is a Discovery a better bet? - I would love a Discovery 3 but just... The fear....  

I’d start with looking at that steering - I don’t think it should be vague.

All the ones I’ve driven, that haven’t had knackered joints have had really positive steering.

One other option for your wife is to buy a series... My wife used to say my Td5 90 was really noisy and agricultural, 1000 miles in the series 1 later and she regularly comments on how smooth and quiet the 90 is.

16 hours ago, tommobot said:

What actual difference is there in terms of steering between the later models is there? - that was the main area of vagueness that she hates.. I can't see how are complete rebush, new shocks, overhaul etc to get as good as can be cannot be far of a modern defender. Tbh, this one's got an 3 bolt steering box, but was rebuilt in the last year...but still. The fundamental design is surely still the same!?

There will be minimal difference.  You could try a four bolt box, which should be a straight swap as I understand it.  Don’t underestimate the importance of accurate tracking adjustment.  You should have 1.2-2.4mm toe out.  Anything else and the vehicle will wander badly, especially on rutted motorways, and will feel incredibly vague.  Obviously, suspension bush and steering rod end condition is critical.

Interesting.. just as I thought.

As I said previously, I've put much smaller wheels on it last night, fist proper drive and I honestly can't believe the difference... 

It feels like an lotus Elise in comparison to be before, but ultimately the main test is Mrs tommobot. 

She makes a fair point of how are the moms with dogs and kids driving new defenders!?

I'll hopefully get her to give it a go this evening and then go from there..

On 8/19/2019 at 6:16 PM, tommobot said:

Interesting.. just as I thought.

As I said previously, I've put much smaller wheels on it last night, fist proper drive and I honestly can't believe the difference... 

It feels like an lotus Elise in comparison to be before, but ultimately the main test is Mrs tommobot. 

She makes a fair point of how are the moms with dogs and kids driving new defenders!?

I'll hopefully get her to give it a go this evening and then go from there..

Wide, soft or knobbly tyres won’t help, but worse, wheels with offsets or spacers will adversely affect feel, stability and weight of the steering.  Any uneven road surface will “grab” at the wheel riding over the surface flaw, and if you have increased the scrub radius (distance between the swivel pin axis and centre of the tyre contact patch), then it’ll pull the steering of line.  How strong that effect is depends on the scrub radius, tyre type, tyre pressure, road speed and the nature of the road imperfection, but to someone who wants car-like handling, it’ll all be noticeable.  The more standard and road biased you can make the tyres and wheels, the less problem you’ll have.

Very true, I've gone back to 235s with cross contact tyres.. 

World's apart... Driving is it a pleasure!

However, these substantially lighter wheels have now introduced a slight death wobble.. I'll start looking at the pan hard bushes and then the swivels..

The heavier wheels must have been masking the issue.. but a step in the right direction..

8 hours ago, tommobot said:

Very true, I've gone back to 235s with cross contact tyres.. 

World's apart... Driving is it a pleasure!

However, these substantially lighter wheels have now introduced a slight death wobble.. I'll start looking at the pan hard bushes and then the swivels..

The heavier wheels must have been masking the issue.. but a step in the right direction..

I had this, I just needed balancing and Tracking.

So Mrs tommobot drove the 110 this evening..

Successful!.. not 100% convinced but it was much quieter and nicer to drive, and to be honest it was only down the road for 5minutes but it was a very rutted and off camber downhill road..

Plotting next move now, and getting excited as it looks like a may get away with keeping it!

Got a few months to finish off another project and then could start on 110. ..

Completely random question, lpg tanks.. are there any off the shelf solutions for underneath the vehicle..?

12 hours ago, tommobot said:

So Mrs tommobot drove the 110 this evening..

Successful!.. not 100% convinced but it was much quieter and nicer to drive, and to be honest it was only down the road for 5minutes but it was a very rutted and off camber downhill road..

Plotting next move now, and getting excited as it looks like a may get away with keeping it!

Got a few months to finish off another project and then could start on 110. ..

Completely random question, lpg tanks.. are there any off the shelf solutions for underneath the vehicle..?

There are loads of LPG conversion companies. Google is full of them.