Special Tool needed

DiscoHere

Hi all you wonderful inventive people out there

I have to replace the top pipe on my fuel pressure regulator in my TD5.  To get at the nut at the front of the engine looks like an impossible task without taking the inlet manifold off or at least dropping the Alternator or making a special tool.  Can any of you who have already done this let me know what you did and how it worked. 

I did read on here that it has been accomplished by grinding down a socket but i am afraid i am not sure what that might look like.  Suggestions and picture would be great 

Thanks 

Hugh

Didn't use any special tools when I changed the FPR on our 10P engine TD5 a couple of years ago.
It's a pig for access & I think I remember using an elastic band to hold 1 of the bolts in the FPR loosely while manoeuvring the FPR into position. It was easier than trying to find the bolt hole in the FPR mtg flange under the inlet manifold.
Again, plenty of great advice on the infamous www.discovery2.co.uk website created by Urban Panzer.

I have now managed to take it off and replace it and it appears to be working fine.  I ended up cutting a hole in a 14mm ring spanner so as to get access over the pipe and to break the original seal on the pipe nut.  I cut the other end off the spanner and in the end it measured approx 2 inches long at max.  I then ground the other end down to a fragile and thin AF spanner so as to get access to the nut thereafter,  I found putting it back on easier as i could move the pipe itself to assist in tightening the nut.  

All told one of the worst jobs i have ever undertaken on the engine.

I did have to take the EGR off to get at it all

Hugh