Changing V5 details

Hi all, 

Hope this is the right forum.  Please feel free to move if necessary.

I'm in the process of putting a 3.9i V8 into my 1986 90 , which was previously running a 3.5 V8 and recorded as such on the V5. DVLA are being difficult about changing the engine details on the V5 and have given me 3 options: 

- Provide a receipt from a garage confirming the engine number & size. I didn’t buy the engine from a garage, I purchased a rotten Disco 1 and took everything I needed from there before scrapping it. I sent DVLA the receipt for the Disco and a copy of the V5 pre-scrapping but they haven’t accepted that 

- Provide an inspection report provided for insurance purposes. My insurer accepted the swap with no quibbles at all, they said it was fairly common and they were happy to cover it for an extra £16/year 

- Provide written confirmation from the engine manufacturer showing the engine number and size. How would I go about that? I imagine everyone at JLR has long since forgotten the RV8 engine! Is there a department I can contact?

I’m hoping there will be other people who’ve done this type of swap who may be able to advise on how to get this sorted. I’ve no intention of selling the Landie, but would like the paperwork to be straight. 

Thanks all.

A couple of years back, I had the same problem when fitting a 200TDI to my 1989 CSW.

After a several phone calls I managed to find someone at JLR who understood the problem with DVLA & was willing to help.

A couple of emails and a few pictures of the engine later, and I had a letter with all the required details direct from JLR.

Try:

Kerry Viola  kviola@jaguarlandrover.com
Case Manager
Tel: 01926 691612
Jaguar Land Rover, Abbey Road, Whitley, CV3 4LF

Edited by MR-HIPPO

Interesting , it seems inconsistent with this type of thing , I recently removed a 5 bearing N/A diesel from an early 2a Series and fitted a 3 bearing petrol that the owner had sourced from someone off Ebay that had broken the vehicle and scrapped it prior to advertising the remaining parts . The diesel was shown on the V5 and I did go through the potential hassles DVLA may come back with , especially with the fuel type change but the new V5 appeared after about 4 weeks , all correct  .

The only supporting paperwork that went with the application was a copy of the receipt from the seller and written confirmation from the owner that the requested changes were true .

Turner Engineering may be prepared to confirm the engine no. to the capacity and original vehicle type it was fitted to ?

cheers

Steve b

no engine number recorded on any of my MOT certificates, only on the V5, just write the 'new' engine number on & send it in. if that's already been done, have a chat with a local garage & ask them to check over the install for safety reasons & write a letter on headed paper, that should sort it.

I changed a petrol to 300tdi.  Needed an engineers report stating it was safe.  Did not need an engine number...it was unreadable.   An engine number means nothing anyway....you could stamp any number on it.