Sign in to follow this  
neilc

Should I sell the series 3 and get a 90?

I know this is subjective but I will explain my circumstances , my series 3 has just passed its MOT with no advisories , I had the head gasket done 2 years ago , it's got a new exhaust is in "good" condition and is 3 years from being mot/tax free . I have a second car which is worth about £500 , which I use every day ( 1L petrol saver ) . I was thinking of selling both and getting a 90 , I will then only have to pay one lot of MOT ,Tax, insurance. My wife says I shouldn't as I know my series is good ( head gasket ) but it's mine so she says I can do what I want . If I sell my series 3 , as it is in good nick and near to free tax MOT for approx £4800  could I get a decent 90 ? The deciding factors really are that the 90 would need to do a lot better than the  does 17 mpg that the series does as it would be for everyday use also if I look after it will a 90 appreciate in value ? . I am really thinking of breaking even on  the tax/insurance as I'll only be insuring the 90 .i know it's a matter of opinion but is it viable to sella series and have enough cash for a decent 90?

Should be able to pick up a useable 90 for about £5k I’d have thought. It won’t be perfect but should at least be roadworthy. Not sure about appreciation in value but you are unlikely to lose on it at the moment should you decide to sell.

A Tdi or Td5 90 should give you around 25-30 mpg or thereabouts. 

I've been having the same thoughts actually. Lots of 1990's 90s around for the £5k mark but they do tend to be a bit tatty. Occasionally you stumble across one with a galv chassis which of course solves many headaches later on.  I would imagine you'll at least break even.  But, better the devil you know than the devil you don't...

Hmm........

I have a RHD 200 Tdi Ninety here you could have for ukp 4,000 + logistics (couple of 100 €)

Needs some work - but the rear quarter that needs to be done is included.

image.png.96d94513bf4a97194a1894645153a07b.png

Getting UK plates should until you guys leave the EU be easy.

image.png.e73b22f57a6cae37a9f504f81567e76b.png

But a Ninety is not a Series really - so comparing them is not really possible...

Bon Couarage !

Thanks but it's just hypothetical at the moment .

Depends on how much mileage you do. If it’s not much then could the series be your daily?

I think you'd save very little, a 5k 90 is likely to be relatively ropey as a daily driver.

As Bigj66 says, if you're doing low miles it's not worth spending money to save few litres of fuel.

If your Series is good I'd say keep doing what you're doing, maybe spend a few quid on freshening up the Series engine if you want a few more MPG out of it, ACR do a range of upgraded bits and bobs.

I’d say keep the Series - for a start, they get stolen less frequently, but most agree they have more character too.

You can do a lot to improve daily use, both economically and for comfort.

Road biased tyres don’t look great on them, but they will considerably improve fuel economy, handling, noise and safety over aggressive off road tyres, and even moderate ATs.  A careful tune up will reap rewards, but electronic ignition like Megajolt and fuel injection will make a huge difference.  An LPG conversion will also allow much cheaper fuel (and I think it may help on road fund, but that is another benefit of the Series, which will be tax exempt sooner than a 90).  Forget free wheeling hubs - they don’t do anything but cause trouble, but 7.50 tyres in place of 6.00s or 6.50s will help, as could an overdrive (in the long run, but they’re expensive).  High ratio transfer box may be worth considering if your engine has the performance to pull it (tuning or the electronics would be needed).

90s have cheaper fuel bills for now due to their (predominantly) Diesel engines having better mpg, but I have concerns that the current political backlash against diesel that is already seeing city bans and surcharges will get worse and will bring extra taxes to make them economically unviable and force us into small petrol cars or EVs.

For comfort, parabolic springs, Defender seats, inertia reel seat belts and better door seals do a lot to improve the commute.  Overhauling the heater system brings big improvements to cab temperature, and you’ll see that expensive replacements or additional heaters aren’t necessary.  Heated screens and mirrors are great, though, and aren’t terribly expensive.  If you want a pretty, tough and quiet cab, then the Wright Off Road mat works well, but you can do something effective for less if the budget is too short.

• Thanks 1