Rust Patch Repair

After finding the surface rust on my 1996 Defender 110 discussed in an earlier topic, I decided to do a thorough inspection to see what else might be lurking. All looks in good shape except for a rust hole in the bottom of the bulkhead on the driver's side. The metal around the hole seems fine so I am thinking of cleaning this up and welding a patch over the hole after which I shall apply some rust prevention. Any thoughts?

Rust-DSCF0466.jpg

Edited by jimconline

Have you lifted up the floor pans yet? I had a similar issue with mine and when i took the floors out i found a lot more rot. It's easy enough to repair but can be quite extensive and will let in water when you're driving in the rain etc.

Since I don't know much about body work, I contacted  a fellow here on the island who does. Was happy with his work. I don't believe I shall have to worry about rust here again for quite some time. Interestingly the other side (passenger) shows virtually no rust. Odd.

Driver Side Floor Repair.jpg