D2 TD5 Front Suspension Dust Cover

boaterboy

I've been told that a ball joint dust cover at the lower end of the front suspension on my D2 TD5 is deteriorating.

Please could someone help me identify what & where this part is?

Also, is it a safety critical item and how easy would it be to replace?

Thank you very much in anticiation of your help.

They look a bit  like this...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-TRACK-ROD-END-BALL-JOINT-RUBBER-DUST-BOOT-COVERS-GAITERS-2X/182729866045?hash=item2a8b8c7b3d:g:fA8AAOSwxzBZndZF

Found on all the ball joints,.... steering arm, track rods etc.

When the cover goes the grease dries out, then the dirt and water get in and dramatically shorten its life. Usually people just change the ball joints but if you have greaseable ball joints that you have kept in good shape then replacing the boot is probably worthwhile. Splitting the balljoint can be a challenge, be sure to clean the threads before removing the locknut. HTH

Thank you, Blanco, for your reply which gave me a good start and to you, bear, for the actual parts drawing.

Excuse my ignorance but is the knuckle part no 1 in the drawing?

Also, any recommendations wrt the best supplier / manufacturer of the ball joints, please?