19j Viscous Fan - coil spring - important?

Evening gents, sorry another daft one as I get closer to turning the key on the full engine / g'box rebuild.

The viscous coupling fan on my 19J - its missing the coiled spring I've seen on other images of the same...   So daft one - is the coil important?

Appreciate your continued assistance and wisdom...

Viscous Fan.jpeg

Having bought genuine and replacement I'd advise you get the cheapest one you can find, a bit like thermostats they have a certain life span and need to a certain extent be treated as a service item, i couldn't find a genuine one for sensible money last time. I'm on a britpart one which seems to be still going strong after 2 yrs.

I bought an OEM  'Borg Warner' unit from Island 4x4 - I wasnt sure mine was working, so thought I would replace it anyway. You could hear the thing locked all of the time. Weeks and weeks later , once I finally got them to respond it then took months to get a refund - dreadful servive. I just put the old one back on in the end!