Rewire

Well this is the bit I've been Dreading. Rebuild of 1987 110 which was Originally 2.5 na I think. But now 300Tdi from Discovery on to LT77 Box.
Anyway got to stage to Rewire, I did not take this thing apart, was bought as Rolling Chassis so did not see where wires were.
The Loom through Chassis plugs in to Bulkhead with all wires matching up as in first pic. I think the other plug to the Right is the for the Main Engine Loom from looking at other posts ect, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Rest of pics are wires from 300 engine,
Ive looked at loads of the Diagrams out there but for the life of me just cant understand them:eek:
I know there is a Load more Inside doe the Dash ect but gonna start on Engine first.
Any info Greatly Appreciated .
Thanks

IMG_20190813_173130.jpg

IMG_20190813_173315.jpg

IMG_20190813_173407.jpg

IMG_20190813_173436.jpg

IMG_20190813_173155.jpg

IMG_20190811_192024.jpg

Edited by kevin50
add

Rubber moulded connectors are pre 1991 200tdi vehicles they changed to plastic casing when 300tdi came in, just buy some new male & female connectors & replace the ones that don't match, have a look at Land rover-connectors ebay shop, you can message him via ebay for advice. 

19 minutes ago, western said:

Rubber moulded connectors are pre 1991 200tdi vehicles they changed to plastic casing when 300tdi came in, just buy some new male & female connectors & replace the ones that don't match, have a look at Land rover-connectors ebay shop, you can message him via ebay for advice. 

If I knew where  the plastic ones joined up to the rubber ones I would but they seem to be different colours.

The rubber ones that I have already joined match up perfect with same colour each side, but  the Plastic plugs on 300 engine are different colours so not really got a clue where they go.

Thanks for ebay will have a look at his shop. 

I've fitted a 300tdi engine into my 1989 110 that was a 2.5td.

I connected the 300 loom to the original plug so can still disconnect it easy when I need to remove engine. 

Can get pics later if needed. Hopefully it will show what colour cables go where. 

If you not got the engine loom you can remove plug and either hard solder cable extensions or better option a new multiway plug

3 hours ago, Tim2809 said:

I've fitted a 300tdi engine into my 1989 110 that was a 2.5td.

I connected the 300 loom to the original plug so can still disconnect it easy when I need to remove engine. 

Can get pics later if needed. Hopefully it will show what colour cables go where. 

If you not got the engine loom you can remove plug and either hard solder cable extensions or better option a new multiway plug

Thanks Mate pics would be Great if you can. Cheers Kevin

Sorry it slipped my mind. Just had a look and where I had an issue with previous owners wiring burning out when I remade the loom I taped it up so cannot see colours easy. The cables each side of plug are the same so we can work out off wiring diagram what colour does what. 

Edited by Tim2809
Error

• 2 weeks later...

Still on with this, I know I shouldn't but I keep jumping from one job to another without finishing.

Anyway found the Origional loom, and plug lines up perfect to Bulkhead plug matching all colours.

Ive numbered wires in first pic, Think I know what goes to Starter and what goes to Alternator, But not sure about the rest.

IMG_20190822_171315_LI (2).jpg

IMG_20190822_171356_LI.jpg

IMG_20190822_171405_LI.jpg

Edited by kevin50

It's hard to see all of the colours on your picture but I think it is the following:

1 main terminal to loom

2 starter motor terminal

3 alternator

4 oil pressure sensor

5 coolant temp sensor 

6 and 7 I can't make out the wire colours but I am missing the stop solenoid terminal on the fip. 

30 minutes ago, monkie said:

2It's hard to see all of the colours on your picture but I think it is the following:

1 main terminal to loom

2 starter motor terminal

3 alternator

4 oil pressure sensor

5 coolant temp sensor 

6 and 7 I can't make out the wire colours but I am missing the stop solenoid terminal on the fip. 

6 is 2 Green going in to one plug.   and 7 I think White as it has faded.

Edited by kevin50

fuel shutoff solenoid is white/grey trace.

coolant temp sender is green/blue trace.

number 6 if it same colours as the temp sender at thermostat housing, is a unused connection for the pre tdi engines when it was located on the top rear left of cylinder head.

I rebuilt the engine loom for my 1988 110 with a 19J. I have looked up the wiring colours for the loom I made, I'm quite sure the 2.5NA loom is very similar if not the same:

Solid Brown (thick) - supply from Alternator to main bus on startermotor

White with red trace - to starter motor solenoid (from starter relay)

White with grey trace - fuel shut off

Green with blue trace - coolant temp sender

Black with white trace - oil pressure switch

Brown with yellow trace - alternator

I'm sure I didn't have the unused green wires in my original loom and I certainly don't now!

20190111_225600.jpg

2 hours ago, monkie said:

I rebuilt the engine loom for my 1988 110 with a 19J. I have looked up the wiring colours for the loom I made, I'm quite sure the 2.5NA loom is very similar if not the same:

Solid Brown (thick) - supply from Alternator to main bus on startermotor

White with red trace - to starter motor solenoid (from starter relay)

White with grey trace - fuel shut off

Green with blue trace - coolant temp sender

Black with white trace - oil pressure switch

Brown with yellow trace - alternator

I'm sure I didn't have the unused green wires in my original loom and I certainly don't now!

20190111_225600.jpg

That's just what I waned to see Mate as I am hopeless at using Colour  codes and Charts., I'm positive colours om my loom are exact same as yous ,will check tomorrow.  

Now these are the Main  ends of mine in pics.

Pic 1 is Starter, now there is altogether 4 brown wires  as you can see going in to a pair of Ring connectors,  Do both these go on the same Main Starter connector with Live to  Battery lead in Pic 2 ??

Pic 3 is Alternator , this also has two brown do these two join together to connect to Alt ?   the other wires are further back up the line. added pic of Alternator, Where do wires attach to it ??

Might have to lengthen some to make them reach.

IMG_20190822_171356_LI.jpg

IMG_20190902_164258.jpg

IMG_20190822_171405_LI.jpg

IMG_20190902_163729.jpg

Edited by kevin50

Okay I think I get where you are coming from.... The alternator terminals are different on the 300tdi to your 2.5 NA. You need to cut off the plastic plug from your loom and fit ring terminals. This is from memory so I'm more than happy to be corrected on this....... The two thicker brown wires connect to the bigger terminal on your alternator to supply the main positive bus on the starter to the circuits and battery. The thinner brown with yellow trace wire fits onto the middle terminal and the third terminal has nothing as that was for the rev counter I think. 

29 minutes ago, monkie said:

Okay I think I get where you are coming from.... The alternator terminals are different on the 300tdi to your 2.5 NA. You need to cut off the plastic plug from your loom and fit ring terminals. This is from memory so I'm more than happy to be corrected on this....... The two thicker brown wires connect to the bigger terminal on your alternator to supply the main positive bus on the starter to the circuits and battery. The thinner brown with yellow trace wire fits onto the middle terminal and the third terminal has nothing as that was for the rev counter I think. 

Thanks. Do the four Brown all go together on Starter Main Connector too?

8 minutes ago, kevin50 said:

Thanks. Do the four Brown all go together on Starter Main Connector too?

Yes that's right. 2 of which are from the alternator and the other 2 go to feed the other circuits, one is the main feed to the ignition switch and the other for the glow plugs if I remember correctly. 

22 minutes ago, monkie said:

Yes that's right. 2 of which are from the alternator and the other 2 go to feed the other circuits, one is the main feed to the ignition switch and the other for the glow plugs if I remember correctly. 

Great Think Ive Grasped it now, Please forgive me everyone but This is my first Rebuild, and my Main problem is that I did not take it apart as I bought it as a rolling Chassis  with Crates full of Parts which I am still sifting through as I come to stage when they need fitting.

Thanks Everyone for help.

8 hours ago, kevin50 said:

Great Think Ive Grasped it now, Please forgive me everyone but This is my first Rebuild, and my Main problem is that I did not take it apart as I bought it as a rolling Chassis  with Crates full of Parts which I am still sifting through as I come to stage when they need fitting.

Thanks Everyone for help.

Glad it's helped, no shame in asking questions. Good luck with the rebuild

Kevin, persevere with trying to understand the wiring diagrams. It's confusing at first but practice makes perfect. 

It helps to concentrate on one bit of the diagram, for example, the alternator, follow the wiring where it goes and you'll start to understand what the different elements do.

Electricity will no longer be electrickery 😊

Mo

• Like 1