New chassis choices

There have been a few threads recently about providers of new chassis. Choices seemed to lean towards Marsland over Richards but until the last few years, I always thought Richards were the supplier of choice. They are also in the region of £600 cheaper than Marsland once VAT etc is costed in.

Why haven't folk been choosing Richards recently? I am in no rush, so wait times are not a factor for me.

I have new doors and a galvanised bulkhead and given the welding I had to do earlier this year on my chassis, I am coming to the conclusion that it may just be easier to build the new parts (especially the bulkhead) onto a new chassis as the amount needed to be done to strip and change on the current chassis is part of the way there anyway....

From what I have read of other peoples' comments online, availability has been a big factor in supplier choice. They all seem to have lengthy waiting lists, and when you consider how many owners want a new chassis these days, it's not such a surprise.

I think I also read somewhere that GKN were no longer supplying Joe Public direct, but only through distributors. I can understand them not wanting to be constantly on the phone to muppets that want to haggle with them. A similar situation exists with Adwest and LR steering boxes.

Other manufacturers have popped up too, some not quite getting everything correct to begin with, but reports suggest this situation is improving. Shielder (in Ireland) and RCP (Replacement Chassis Parts) are two relatively new companies I am aware of, although the latter doesn't actually supply a full chassis.

• Like 1

Just taken a look at the Sheilder Chassis site and interestingly they are exactly the same price as Richards.

I think the Marsland chassis come from GKN from what I can make out, but are they worth the extra money compared to Richards or Sheilder?

I have had at least nine chassis from Richards now. The first couple had various errors and out of tolerance but that was at least twelve years ago and they rectified them.

The last six Defender ones have been spot on, although I still haven’t got round to rebuilding my Puma 90 onto its new chassis.

I don’t like the original landrover construction method of two overlapping C sections hence always choosing Richards. They are also more accommodating of modifications such as tdci rear crossmember and tank brackets on 300tdi.

Edited by oneandtwo

I have a Marsland chassis on my 109.  It had a plethora of errors, all because of being misjudged in many locations, which showed a severe lack of care.  However, as you correctly state, their Defender chassis come from GKN, unlike their own-build Series units.

I have seen issues with Richards and heard of Shielder being a bit iffy (that was more their bulkheads).  I think given the choice, the GKN built unit would be the best bet.

I went for Richards in late 2017 because at that moment Marsland stopped supplying direct and began to go through Britpart. All the outlets have to buy through them too. The prices jumped.

It’s true that their Defender chassis are supplied by GKN. They used to make Series chassis on site and I bought mine from them, driving to pick it up as they are very local. That stopped a good while ago.

The Richards chassis (300Tdi on 110) was fine except that I had a @&£&) of a job getting the crossmember in. I mean it was nearly impossible. 

My 90 has what must have been one of the first Richards Chassis (early to mid 2000's), apart from having a strange rear axle offset which doesn't seem to cause me problems, its a real nice solid chassis

Recently acquired a Marland 90 chassis which is a GKN one, again looks as it should, its one of the TDCi types as it has some extra webs in the bulkhead outrigger support, it also has the latest rear tub adjustable fixing arrangement, I think it looks a bit naff but its ok, I have noted that both ends of the rear crossmember are slightly bowed in, I thought this might have been down to transit damage or to do with the galvanising, but I happen to have a look at the last 15 plate 110's the team has got and they are just the same so it must have come from GKN like that.

I have not had any issues with my Marsland chassis either although the person that changed it said it was out of alignment which has since been proved as not the case. Yes the Marslands chassis comes from GKN and as part of the issues I have with my so called expert chassis changer (more an egg spurt), I had an Certificate of Authenticity supplied by GKN.

When I ordered my chassis it only took 3 weeks before it was ready, but that was two years ago and I was offered the choice of rear crossmembers.

Toby

I have had a couple of chassis from Designa Chassis, and both have been absolutely fine, as were the deviations from standard that I specified, one of which being a 90 chassis but with a series rear half, but to fit a 90 rear body.

One thing that bothers me with replacement chassis nowadays are the rules, which amongst other things states that a new or replacement chassis MUST be of the same specification.

From the late seventies /early eighties the chassis has been made with two "C" sections welded together, so strictly speaking, the four sides welded at the corners method of construction does not comply. I wonder if that would bring a problem if some jobsworth inspector wanted to be really pedantic ?

15 hours ago, Maverik said:

My 90 has what must have been one of the first Richards Chassis (early to mid 2000's), apart from having a strange rear axle offset which doesn't seem to cause me problems, its a real nice solid chassis

Recently acquired a Marland 90 chassis which is a GKN one, again looks as it should, its one of the TDCi types as it has some extra webs in the bulkhead outrigger support, it also has the latest rear tub adjustable fixing arrangement, I think it looks a bit naff but its ok, I have noted that both ends of the rear crossmember are slightly bowed in, I thought this might have been down to transit damage or to do with the galvanising, but I happen to have a look at the last 15 plate 110's the team has got and they are just the same so it must have come from GKN like that.

The bowing is normal and is the reason why Land Rover changed to the adjustable rail mounting for the the rear tub.

The genuine NAS rear step even comes with a selection of shims to allow for the bowed crossmember ends.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2019 at 2:13 AM, oneandtwo said:

The bowing is normal and is the reason why Land Rover changed to the adjustable rail mounting for the the rear tub.

The genuine NAS rear step even comes with a selection of shims to allow for the bowed crossmember ends.

Good to know.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 12:19 PM, landroversforever said:

Mine's a Richards, I went with them as they were the only ones which offered customisation such as the cage mounts, flush crossmember and my custom rear crossmember.

You surprise me - I'd have thought you'd have gone bespoke :ph34r:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi, regarding RCP chassis parts i had a half chassis fitted to my 1996 110 csw in jan 2017, one of the first they made, they actually delivered it to my engineer in Wiltshire. It has various parts to improve it from original. So far so good December 2019. Hope this may help somebody. 

IMG_2801 (1).jpg