Importing a UK Defender back to the UK

Can anybody please help.

Just finished work, and are moving back to the UK. My defender is on a Dutch plate at the moment, as nobody would insure me here in the UK.

Has anybody got any idea or experience in importing cars back to the UK.

The DVLA site is like a bloody maze, telling you to go to this link then that link.

They have got a helpline cost 3 pound 60 a minute. Robbin BUGGERS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Lads.

LHD or RHD ?

Depending on the origin of the vehicle - was it on UK plates and did you take it to Holland with you - it is at the moment not too difficult.

I hope you did not export the vehicle from Holland yet, if so, you can get export insurance from the GWK and white export plates to drive it around.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk tells you all.

Bon Courage !

• Like 1

Cheers Arjan.

Its a RH Drive, and was on UK plates.

It's still on Dutch plates and insurance lucky.

The thing is it's on a camper registration in the Netherlands, would the DVLA do the same.

Think I'll have to go down to Swansea and see em.

Cheers Mate.

Do you know if the DVLA, has to do an inspection on the vehicle.

First you complete the NOVA import process on HMRC site. It’s free for importing in from EU, but you still need to go through the NOVA process. Then you need to get it MOT’d.

Once this is complete you can send off original Netherlands Registration doc, Nova docs and MOT docs with correct form to DVLA for an import registration (You can order them here https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms ) . As long as NL docs have confirmation of year of manufacture you’ll be ok, if they don’t you’ll need to get a heritage certificate from Gaydon to confirm year of manufacture, so DVLA can apply correct road tax.

If permanently resident in UK, it’s illegal to drive it in UK, even with insurance. So you’re only allowed to take it to MOT appointment and back. As you’re moving back, I suspect you get some leeway on this, so you’ll need to check this.

That’s it, fairly simple.

Cheers

Steve

If it was on UK plates before,  it should be very easy. Get insurance on the UK plate, get an MOT on the UK plate, order the form from the DVLA, and fill it in. Send off, and you should get a V5 quite quickly.

I've reimported 2 cars from the EU, back in the day of local DVLA offices, and it was a 20 minute job at the desk, but it should be the same, just in the post.

The form you need is V55/5 - download it from the gov.uk website, return it to dvla with insurance cert, MoT (MoT it on the dutch number plate, DVLA will modify the record when they process), dutch logbook, cheque for registration & tax - do NOVA process online beforehand as dvla need will check that before they start.

Many Thanks for all of your help lads.

Very much appreciated.

Was getting a wee bit worried about the DVLA, read lots of wonderful stories about them..

The same when I took it across to the Netherlands. Cost me 3000 quid to import it, then they wanted another 3200 road tax every year. Till we complain to one of the bosses, telling him it was a campervan not an ordinary landy.

After another inspection by the Dutch DVLA they let me import it on a camper plate. Still costing me 800 quid a year.

Robbin BUGGERS.

I am afraid Gazzars info is out of date since the centralisation at Swansea.  Steve G is mostly right, the Dutch docs should be enough proof of age.  DVLA are a bit iffy about Heritage Certificates, mostly they will not accept them, quoting the possibility of transcription errors (although occasionally one gets through)  If dating is a problem (shouldnt be if you know the original UK reg then do a V888 search through DVLA, that should pull up previous documents including the V5 from before you exported it and the date will be on there.  Also if you can get an authenticated copy of the relevent page from Glass's check book then that is usually accepted.

By the way the standard rate for road tax for a camper less than 3.5 tonnes is either £240 or  £260 I cant remember which, I just pay it when the reminder comes

There is a time limit for applying for NOVA after the vehicle is imported (I think 14 days but I am not sure.

Good luck

Peter