Mo Murphy

Thoughts on greasing the release bearing tube

Do you grease it when changing the release bearing ?

What grease do you use ?

Mo

Smear of Moly grease but not much Mo. 

• Like 1

I use copper grease.  It has always worked so far, but there may be better alternatives.  I thought the copper would continue to act as a lubricant and rust inhibitor after the grease died out, hence not using moly.  Graphite grease should do the same.

• Like 1

It gets a smear of bearing grease whenever I’ve done mine, along with everything else that moves in there.

• Like 1

Thanks Gents, someone else also recommended copper grease ! 

Mo

I use copper grease too, but I notice that LUK sell a special grease for the purpose. Don't know what it is though.

• Like 1

Revisiting the Catalan engineering Mo?

Chris

Recon gearbox Chris, would be foolish not to replace the clutch whilst I'm in there 😊 so yes undoing the catalan engineering !

Mo

• Like 1

According to SACHS,..

Not every lubricant is suitable. It needs to be temperature-resistant and endure high surface loading. Unsuitable lubricants can become liquid, solidify, become resinous, or burn, and thus cause malfunctions.

Every SACHS clutch kit is supplied with a lubricant pad which is sufficient to lubricate the hub splines once. This high-performance grease optimally meets requirements.

https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/sachs-service-greasing-clutch-disc-hub-spline

I am going to be changing the clutch on my D2 soon and will be using Loctite 8009 or NEVER-SEEZ Nickel compound, whichever I find first in my garage.

• Like 1

Cheers Johnno,

In the end my new LOF clutch came supplied with a syringe full of their recommended lubricant.

Mo