Shark fin DAB antenna (110 SW, Td5)

Hi,

I need to fit a DAB antenna to my Defender. It has a galvanised roof rack fitted (https://bearmach.com/galvanized-roof-rack-flat-pack-suitable-for-series-and-defender-110-vehicles-ba-008).

My plan would be to fit a shark fin type antenna (e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shark-radio-Roof-Antenna-SharkFin/dp/B00JHLQ6UG), BUT I've heard a suggestion that the roof rack might affect its reception. To make matters potentially worse, the rack has got heavy duty welded wire mesh across it (to make it easier to stow items).

Has anyone had any experience of the DAB antenna intereference issue?

Many thanks!

Otto

Thanks, all!

You're definitely right about the window mounted antenna. Mine will get a signal if I'm parked within 500 metres of the transmitter mast; otherwise it's useless. I've soldiered on with it, but a new DAB radio has necessitated a change.

ianmayco68 - this is a possible solution. The chap fitting the radio suggested fitting something similar to one of the back corners of the roof - so it's out of the way, and less likely to get damaged, but will still poke through the roof rack to get a signal.

If I can get the shark fin-type to work, that would be my preference. Neater, and it won't get damaged by me fiddling on the roof. It's probably just a question of where to mount it, that's clear of the roof rack. Maybe on the back?

Best regards,

Otto

I had terrible results with the window mounted dipole antenna, which surprised me, but the clear plastic/ thin loop window antenna from Halfords worked fine.  I did have to fit it in one of the rear windows of my 109 as the front screens are heated, and that screws up antennas royally, but this cheap one has been dandy.

As John said, I can’t see an antenna sitting under the roof rack working well.