Noise Radiator Area

A noise has developed that sounds like it's coming from the radiator/viscous fan on my 300tdi. Interestingly, the noise starts only after a couple of minutes idle indicating to me it has something to do with warming up. The engine runs fine: I had to drive it with the noise for about the last 50kms of my 1000kms jaunt. I have attached an audio file in the hope that it may help someone identify the cause.

Noise Up Front.mp3

That to me sounds like the fan bearing mounted in the front of the timing chest, it makes quite a low rolling drum noise as its onto quite a hollow area of the chest, to check I'd pop the fan off and remove the fan belt and spin the idle pulley and see what you hear, also see if there's any play in it.

Looks like it was the water pump: when I put my hand on it I could feel it vibrate as the noise grew louder. Put a new one in yesterday—the old one was pretty rough—and ran the engine for several minutes with no noise. Will take it for a longer run today to confirm.

One note of confusion changing out the water pump. I drained the radiator as per steps in the Defender Workshop Manual section entitled Drain and Refill Cooling System. I was only able to refill with about 8 liters of coolant/water; manual says 11 liter capacity. Where were the other 3 liters hiding?

20 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

The block usually holds a fair bit unless you drain it using the plug on the side under the turbo.

In reality it’s a pig to access so I just flush through until it runs clear with fresh water and then refill to the desired mix.

Thanks for the insight; that makes sense. Since I filled with a 50/50 mixture—and what was in the block would be 50/50—I shall leave as is.