Front to Rear Hub Distances (pulling to left)

I've got a problem with a 97 130, with a coachbuilt style motorhome body.

Its pulling to the left. It most pronounced with road camber but will barely pull straight even on opposite camber roads. An RTC steering damper has applied a bit of a sticking plaster over the problem.....

I've checked the wheel alignment with both a Dunlop tracking device and using the extendable washing line prop method. Both show a tiny amount of toe out so i'm happy there. 

What i've found today is the hub centres are 2.5cm longer (front to rear axle) on the drivers side than passenger (which to me makes sense that i'm getting rear wheel steering in the problem direction).

Radius arms are straight, all bushes are good genuine LR parts. There is no discernible damage on the chassis or axles. Its an HD chassis and Wolf axles, the springs are claimed to be approx 1" lift.

Question is: Can i correct this? I can't see how i'd resolve 2.5cm using spacers on the existing arm bushes. 

Or am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ian_Fearn

An inch is a LOT, I can't think of anywhere you will that amount just from bushes/joints, unless multiple points were knackered.

I assume you have checked front AND rear suspension points?

Does the vehicle lean at rest on a level surface? If so, the wheelbase will be shorter on the lower side.

I'm assuming the front wheels were pointing dead ahead? There is a slot, and a pin hole in the steering box, which you can put a drill bit in to lock it central, then adjust the drag link until bob-on.

The wheels were straight as confirmed with a washing line prop on the inner rim edge.

Its about 6mm higher on the drivers side (flat floor to front chassis dumb iron).

All the bushes really are perfect. 

The axles are Wolf and seem to be built pretty tough so i'm finding it hard to believe they'd be bent.

Maybe i'll try and take some more measurements on the chassis when my tame helper (wife) returns later!

That was going to be the next thing to look at,measuring the hard points.

From what I understand, some 130s/127s were built by third parties, so you never know just how good their chassis jigs were.... Mind you , I have no idea what LRs own jigs were like either!

With a 1" difference from side to side obviously at least one axle is not perpendicular to the chassis.  It would probably be worth taking various chassis to axle measurements to try to identify the culprit(s).  You don't want to apply corrective measures to the wrong axle end, and end up with the two wheel base measurements the same, but both axles non-perpendicular to the chassis.  That could make steering very interesting! 

Whilst doing my ground up rebuild, still in progress, I recently checked my chassis alignment by using a plumb bob from various chassis locations to the garage concrete floor, chalk marking the concrete, and then measuring between marks.  I found this was much easier than trying to measure directly on the chassis, even with the help of SWMBO.  The result was a mis-alignment of just under a 3/16" on my front axle, and identical measurements on the rear axle.  Since I have never experienced any steering issues I don't intend to take any action.  I assume that this discrepancy is within the LR build tolerance.

Best of luck with your detective work.

Mike

Bit of an update on this then.....

After some much more careful measurements the wheelbase differences were more like 1.75cm, not 2.5cm as I first measured. By doing some schoolboy maths I (the wife) calculated I needed ~0.5degree shift to correct the issue.

I bought the 2717K Superpro bushes and fitted them today. These are the ones classed as 'slight pull', 0.5 degree.

After tracking it with the Dunlop gauge, measurements were re-taken and within a small tolerance its now got equal wheelbase lengths.

A test drive shows its now as it should be. I did an emergency brake test and it stayed nice and straight.

Well happy 😊

• Like 2